• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Italian lakes - what is there to do? Other holiday suggestions welcome!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian lakes - what is there to do? Other holiday suggestions welcome!

Me and 'er usually take 7-8 days summer holiday, but we're a bit stumped this year. The Italian Lakes came to mind, as we both like Italy, but what is there to do? A look on Trip Advisor suggested that it's mostly looking at villas with spectacular gardens, or cathedrals, etc.

We like to:
    - See some villas with spectacular gardens, maybe 1-2
    - Go for some quite long walks (we generally walk 7-10 miles, maybe 2-3 times)
    - Explore the nearest town/city
    - See some sights
    - Enjoy the warm weather

We're not beach or pool bums; topping up the tan isn't high on the list. Nor is any type of "adventure" holiday e.g. bungee jumping, canoeing, skiing, horse riding, white water rafting, caving, etc.

e.g. Amalfi coast, Madeira, Sicily, Santorini were all excellent. Shorter breaks have included Porto, Florence, Rome, Palma, Venice, Barcelona. Again, all good.

GFP still doesn't want to go long haul so somewhere within 4-5 hours max is our probable range.

So... what's is there to actually see and do in the Italian Lakes, or does anyone have any other suggestions? (along with the inevitable abuse, some serious answers would be really appreciated).

Ta muchly.

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

GFP still doesn't want to go long haul so somewhere within 4-5 hours max is our probable range.
    I'd suggest you dump her. She is pulling your inner man back.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Me and 'er usually take 7-8 days summer holiday, but we're a bit stumped this year. The Italian Lakes came to mind, as we both like Italy, but what is there to do? A look on Trip Advisor suggested that it's mostly looking at villas with spectacular gardens, or cathedrals, etc.

We like to:
      - See some villas with spectacular gardens, maybe 1-2
      - Go for some quite long walks (we generally walk 7-10 miles, maybe 2-3 times)
      - Explore the nearest town/city
      - See some sights
      - Enjoy the warm weather

We're not beach or pool bums; topping up the tan isn't high on the list. Nor is any type of "adventure" holiday e.g. bungee jumping, canoeing, skiing, horse riding, white water rafting, caving, etc.

e.g. Amalfi coast, Madeira, Sicily, Santorini were all excellent. Shorter breaks have included Porto, Florence, Rome, Palma, Venice, Barcelona. Again, all good.

So... what's is there to actually see and do in the Italian Lakes, or does anyone have any other suggestions? (along with the inevitable abuse, some serious answers would be really appreciated).

Ta muchly.
      Açores sounds perfect for you. For me it's a paradise on earth

Açores, São Miguel Island

Visit Azores | O que fazer em São Miguel and Ponta Delgada - Actividades | Visit Azores | Visit Azores

Comment

Fly to Turin, pick up a car and head up the Aosta valley. Drink wine.
        Spend a couple of nights in the village of Champoluc at the Rascard Frantze. Eat shed loads of great food and go for hill walks from there to other restaurants - such as the Refugio Belvedere.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Spend the week listening to Suity tales. A dream come true.

Tourism — Love Luton

Comment

Try searching for Nazi Gold or Mafiosi victims.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

West of Ireland? Base yourself in Galway.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                Açores sounds perfect for you. For me it's a paradise on earth

Açores, São Miguel Island

Visit Azores | O que fazer em São Miguel and Ponta Delgada - Actividades | Visit Azores | Visit Azores
                ^ Very interesting.... would you explore different islands or generally stay in the one place?

Comment

How about Adults only Caribbean resorts - Barbados adults only - The House

Oops sorry that's me (as a freebie) in March next year....

What about doing two places... Florence and Milan would be a good bet, plenty of flights to both places and an easy connection by train... https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...e_Tuscany.html (stayed there for the past 3 years) is a very good hotel I can provide my Milan research if you want as well
                  Last edited by eek; 23 May 2016, 17:21.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Stretch to St John's Newfoundland? Just under 11 hours round trip?

Comment

Working...
                    X