• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anyone know

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know

Does anyone know the total number of people who voluntarily tick the box and pay IR35 tax?

All the brolly mob for starters - that's going to be many tens of thousands.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

They may pay the tax, but they aren't going to be ticking the box They don't have a company so they won't be filling in company tax forms.

tim

Comment

I assume it is nowhere near enough to meet Primarolo's 900 million estimated extra revenue, but I have met contractors who have paid up from day one, so I assume it is still quite a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
          They may pay the tax, but they aren't going to be ticking the box They don't have a company so they won't be filling in company tax forms.

tim
          Yes, fair point. That'll teach me to read the question properly. Would have been handy if I'd done that in my A levels.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

And the answer is....

YES, somebody does know.

I don't know who that person is though

Comment

We don't know, because even when asked directly in the HoC, Dim Prawn replied that they don't keep that sort of information.

However, NL also claim to know that IR35 brings in between £35m and £600m a year, depending on when you ask, who you ask, why you ask and who's asking. So I suspect they know the numbers, but aren't telling because it would be too embarassing.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                We don't know, because even when asked directly in the HoC, Dim Prawn replied that they don't keep that sort of information.

However, NL also claim to know that IR35 brings in between £35m and £600m a year, depending on when you ask, who you ask, why you ask and who's asking. So I suspect they know the numbers, but aren't telling because it would be too embarassing.
                Is that before or after the cost of all those lost cases? If it's £35m before legal costs, IR35 would be costing more than it brings in.

Comment

I know quite a few who paid up in the early years but most of them have reverted to IR35 dodgers. I know a few who went umbrella and stuck with it.

The government has not exactly encouraged people to pay their NI by keep putting up both employees and employers NI to avoid raising the headline tax rates.

Comment

Working...
                  X