• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bremainers take without permission

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bremainers take without permission

Quote, misquotes and the truth about my appearance in the ‘Stronger In Europe’ leaflet - Martin Lewis' Blog...

Arriving home a few days ago, I picked up the Stronger In Europe leaflet that had dropped through my letterbox, and almost dropped my wallet (and you can imagine how tightly I cling to that) to see my picture at the top of it. After all I’d not been asked, nor had I given my permission, nor am I backing either campaign in the EU referendum.

Yet the quote attached to the picture is accurate. I did say it. It is on a leaflet headlined, “What experts are saying about the EU referendum”. Here’s a picture of it.

Martin's EU quote

My frustration is the impression this gives that I am backing the ‘in’ campaign. It doesn’t say that overtly, but certainly by the mass of tweets (and some abuse) I’ve received, many people read it as meaning that.
    Blimey there is so little real support they are stealing peoples quotes in desperation.

What the quotes relates to…

A few weeks ago I was on ITV’s The Agenda with George Osborne. Unsurprisingly the subject of the referendum came up and I was asked about it. I explained that there are no facts, no rights or wrong, it’s all about assessing risk and your attitude to that (sadly no longer on the ITV Hub, or I’d link so you could see it yourself).

Then the presenter Tom Bradby pushed me to come out with a view, asking on the balance of probabilities will we be better or worse off if we leave the EU.

When asked a direct question, I try to answer (I’m not a politician), so said, “On balance of probability, it is more likely we’ll have less money in our pockets if we vote to leave”. And that’s the quote in the leaflet.

On its own it isn’t actually a glowing endorsement – just in the context of the leaflet it seems more. From memory, I then went on to explain that this doesn’t mean it will happen, it’s simply that on a 50-50 assessment, I think that is the more likely outcome, but of course no one truly knows.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Blimey there is so little real support....
    Keep telling yourself that. I'm sure it'll all be fine.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Keep telling yourself that. I'm sure it'll all be fine.
      don't have to the whiff of desperation from remainers is enough.

What next dubbing over the queens speech so she seems to be shouting "One must remain, or else My Family & I will be rogered by giant mongooses"?

Comment

don't have to the whiff of desperation from remainers is enough.

What next dubbing over the queens speech so she seems to be shouting "One must remain, or else My Family & I will be rogered by giant mongooses"?
        Are we reaching the Braveheart event horizon yet, when our doughty freedom fighters see independence slipping from their hands and start throwing their toys out of the pram?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Are we reaching the Braveheart event horizon yet, when our doughty freedom fighters see independence slipping from their hands and start throwing their toys out of the pram?
          so you see the EU as illegal invaders & oppressors then? Interesting...

Comment

Right old barney going on in the comments section for that. It's like armies of scooters and mauve monkeys hurling abuse at each other.

Comment

so you see the EU as illegal invaders & oppressors then? Interesting...
              So that will be a "Yes", then.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                So that will be a "Yes", then.
                The brits as plucky freedom fighters in Kilts?

FREEEDOMMMMMMMMMMMM

Comment

Working...
                X