• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector IR35 consultation launched

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    If it goes smoothly (), it's bound to be extended.
    So we need to ensure that it doesn't go smoothly

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
      So we need to ensure that it doesn't go smoothly
      I don't think we need to do much.

<Puts kettle on. Sups tea. Waits.>

Comment

Oh, but that's exactly what they want. Have cake, will eat. Still have cake.

That isn't how it will end, of course, but that's their starting position.
        No, they simply switch to FTCs across the board.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If it goes smoothly (), it's bound to be extended.
          As I've said elsewhere if its shown to work (for any definition of work that means it can be extended) it will be extended.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Which is exactly what is starting to happen at my client.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Oh then they will have difficulties getting workers then. I wonder if that's happened before....
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

They know that won't work.... However, its what they should be doing so how about expliciting fighting for and removing the Limited Company withheld payment option?

That gives them two options - explicitly outside IR35 or on payroll, no middle ground... It also means no computer systems or payment systems need to be modified....
                Last edited by eek; 27 May 2016, 13:47.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yes, that's what I said. But that won't be having their cake and eating it, because the quality of person going for an FTC will be dramatically worse, at least as long as it doesn't apply in the private sector. Also, like I said, they're going to learn from this process that it's unworkable. If they weren't intending to learn, they'd have gone straight to FTCs. The way Gov't works is that it completely fails to understand market forces, but it also has some inclination of that, from past experience. So it does things (appoints Alan Sugar, runs trail balloons) to confirm that lack of understanding, and then typically proceeds anyway. Only this time, they can't have their cake and eat it. Either they lose the flexible economy or they lose talent to the private sector en masse. One or the other.

Comment

ps. in case anyone was still wondering, if they're working in the UK public sector, they should start planning their exit for March 2017 at the latest.

Comment

I dont see why a programmer from here can not be contracted by hmrc to modify their systems to allow this tulip.
                      The sum for grabs is upto £500000, see page 32
                      Last edited by garnet; 27 May 2016, 14:30.

Comment

Working...
                      X