• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reality bites for gradiuates!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality bites for gradiuates!

He should have word with his Tory voting parents....

My student loan was mis-sold, says graduate - BBC News

EDIT: ah crap... Typo in the title And I went to university and everything thing... init
    Last edited by dx4100; 27 May 2016, 07:36.

What are gradiuates?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

If I'm not mistaken you basically paying it off with 9% of your income above £21K (although there is variation on this). After 30 years any remaining debt gets kicked into touch. From back of the fag packet calculations with a debt of say £45K, there's a good chance you just have to treat it as an additional tax for the majority of your working life.

For the lad in question, this looks to be an expensive lesson learnt early.

I'm surprised it hasn't focussed young minds about going to university a bit more, or at least what to study and where. Should the little Equalizers think about it I'm going to try my best to make them think about the implications of what they'll study. Then again, at 18 does anyone really have a clue about anything?

Comment

I think people like this should have their interest refunded, if that's the bit they were "mis-sold", but then having shown that they're not able to handle adult responsibilities should be banned from ever having a bank account, having a job, owning property, voting, driving, having a passport etc. etc.

That'll learn em.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I paid mine off ASAP, I didn't wait until I was earning 21K.

The terms were / are clear, you just have to read them.

In addition, anything offered by the government is likely to be cr@p, so that should be taken to consideration
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            I paid mine off ASAP, I didn't wait until I was earning 21K.

The terms were / are clear, you just have to read them.

In addition, anything offered by the government is likely to be cr@p, so that should be taken to consideration
            How do you expect them to pay off £42K of debt when earning less than £21K?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              I wasn't talking about their personal situation, just that I paid off my lot smaller loan before I reached the threshold...
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                I wasn't talking about their personal situation, just that I paid off my lot smaller loan before I reached the threshold...
                Which was possible when the amount a student starts off owing is not twice their starting salary...

The advice I have (from friends at Student Loans) is Germany, Holland, Canada or the USA... And that is what we will be doing....
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  How do you amass 42k of debt from 27k of fees? Sounds like he's funded a three-year p1ss up on top of his fees.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    How do you amass 42k of debt from 27k of fees? Sounds like he's funded a three-year p1ss up on top of his fees.
                    Living costs at £5K/year?

Comment

Working...
                    X