• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public Sector Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Sector Contracting

Does anyone know if the following scenario allowed under U.K. law? My experience of working in the Public Sector is (thankfully) limited but I can't find anything online. NB it's not hypothetical, more investigatory.

Person works for Council as an employee, leaves, sets up a LtdCo as a consultancy (sole Director, no employees), Council (More likely, someone high up who's a good friend of Director) then secures the services of LtdCo on a one year contract at say £900/day. This get renewed every year with no invitation to tenders etc. LtdCo does no other work for any other customers.

Legit? Dodgy? Standard Practice? Any help appreciated!
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

What does the council procurement policy say?

I'd send it to Private Eye and see if it appears in their Rotten Boroughs column.

Comment

Just report them as Fri to Monday contractor and falling inside IR35.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
        Does anyone know if the following scenario allowed under U.K. law? My experience of working in the Public Sector is (thankfully) limited but I can't find anything online. NB it's not hypothetical, more investigatory.

Person works for Council as an employee, leaves, sets up a LtdCo as a consultancy (sole Director, no employees), Council (More likely, someone high up who's a good friend of Director) then secures the services of LtdCo on a one year contract at say £900/day. This get renewed every year with no invitation to tenders etc. LtdCo does no other work for any other customers.

Legit? Dodgy? Standard Practice? Any help appreciated!
        Said person is squarely inside IR35.

Cant comment on council procurement rules but it certainly doesn't sound kosher.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Is the contractor working direct or via an intermediary on a framework?

If you're that bothered tell whichever local rag have the councils most. And the union.

Comment

It doesn't matter how he got there, he falls foul of the rules put in place after Ed Lester.

He's in control of a key part of the organisation and his role will not die when he leaves the post...

Comment

Yup classic Friday to Monday exactly what IR35 was bought out to stop.

Also if he got redundancy (although you say he left so probably not) then he would have to pay the tax free amount back.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Yup classic Friday to Monday exactly what IR35 was bought out to stop.

Also if he got redundancy (although you say he left so probably not) then he would have to pay the tax free amount back.
                But the contractor may be paying full whack inside IR35. It is the procurement part that may be dodgy. Having said that, they are probably off a framework via an intermediary. I don't know if there are rules within the framework for mini-competitions. If there is, an FoI request may get teh details of the mini-competition or it may be published heres: https://www.gov.uk/contracts-finder (not sure about the rules in the UK on this one).

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  But the contractor may be paying full whack inside IR35. It is the procurement part that may be dodgy. Having said that, they are probably off a framework via an intermediary. I don't know if there are rules within the framework for mini-competitions. If there is, an FoI request may get teh details of the mini-competition or it may be published heres: https://www.gov.uk/contracts-finder (not sure about the rules in the UK on this one).
                  Yes indeed that is correct assuming he has an intention of not trying to pass himself as not being under IR35.

In terms of the procurement part there will always be a way to get around any of the restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Yes indeed that is correct assuming he has an intention of not trying to pass himself as not being under IR35.

In terms of the procurement part there will always be a way to get around any of the restrictions.
                    There is usually a way but that doesn't mean it was followed.

Comment

Working...
                    X