• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What EU has ever done for Britain?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What EU has ever done for Britain?

"Imagine sitting in your car at a set of red traffic lights; the lights turn green but only allow the first car to pass leaving everybody else stationary.

With the current signalling system creating near-gridlock in some areas, radical change is urgently needed.

The proposed new digital system, known as European Train Control System (ETCS), sweeps away signals completely.

It allows trains to run much closer together; safety margins are determined by a train's speed and braking capacity rather than fixed signals.

On low-speed lines trains will run much closer together, similar to road traffic in urban areas. On high-speed lines they will be further apart but even here gaps will be cut from three minutes to 90 seconds, potentially doubling capacity."

Source: Could we finally see the end of overcrowded trains? - BBC News

Interesting read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...Control_System

"Both factors led to efforts to reduce the time and cost of cross-border traffic. On 4 and 5 December 1989, a working group including Transport Ministers resolved a master plan for a trans-European high-speed rail network, the first time that ETCS was suggested"

So, it was in making long time ago, but UK clearly decided not to give a tulip about being part of EU that would have made it easier for EU trains to get to UK and back to Europe.

Like with fibre for broadband upgrading the signalling infrastructure would have cost the UK government money they needed to bribe the electorate with tax cuts.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Like with fibre for broadband upgrading the signalling infrastructure would have cost the UK government money they needed to bribe the electorate with tax cuts.
      What tax cuts?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        What tax cuts?
        Oh I forgot you weren't in the country when Thatcher and Major were in power. Though you were around when Blair was bribing people with tax credits.

Comment

Oh I forgot you weren't in the country when Thatcher and Major were in power. Though you were around when Blair was bribing people with tax credits.
          I am in UK since late 1998, but I also got one year in Uni 96/97 - that's when Bliar won, at the time I wasn't into UK politics...

Tax credits are not tax cuts, but bribe - yes for sure.

Taxes were only going up since late 90s and more importantly cost of living, especially housing.

Comment

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/en-gb...squirrel-cull/

I might vote in after all.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Could not read it - there was so much embedded tulip to enable in NOSCIPT plugin on that site that I just did not bother.

Comment

Could not read it - there was so much embedded tulip to enable in NOSCIPT plugin on that site that I just did not bother.
                They are culling grey squirrels to protect the red ones. Grey squirrels are now invading France.

I know this from reading a green article earlier in the year.

Comment

They are culling grey squirrels to protect the red ones. Grey squirrels are now invading France.
                  Grey squirrels are clearly superior species.

Trying to resist it is fighting the Mother Nature.

Comment

Grey squirrels are clearly superior species.

Trying to resist it is fighting the Mother Nature.
                    No they are pox infested violent tree rats with bushy tails.

Red squirrels are stalker-like tree mice with bushy tails.

Comment

Working...
                    X