• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MOOCS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MOOCS

Does anyone have any experience of using any MOOCs?

Having spent a time looking at going back to get my Masters, I decided that it was going to be too slow and what I really wanted was to learn specific courses / modules but not necessarily with an end mortar board.

Someone suggested MOOCs and I've just started taking a look. Anyone done any courses?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

I know you have huge Moobs. Does that count?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Someone suggested MOOCs and I've just started taking a look. Anyone done any courses?
      Didn't Markymark suggest the course 'Life and times of Walter Mitty' ?

Comment

I love MOOCs. Great way to learn. Hard to find the time though.

A few years ago I did cs253 web dev on udacity - nice way to learn how to build simple python web apps.

The MIT intro to comp science is fun. Uses python as the teaching language and goes through statistics and some fund stuff around probability (Monty Hall problem) - https://www.edx.org/course/introduct...-mitx-6-00-1x8

For a non computing one The Science of Everyday Thinking is very interesting. A lot like the book thinking fast and slow by Daniel Kahneman - https://www.edx.org/course/science-e...qx-think101x-2

So much great stuff but I really struggle to carve out the time for study at the moment. Makes me sad as there is so much to learn!

Comment

Check out coursera and FutureLearn.

The other option for a proper MBA is the Open University - not cheap though...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Are you joking? He can afford to buy Harvard university.

That said, I have a course for MF here.
            Last edited by FatLazyContractor; 31 May 2016, 11:09. Reason: Added a value add course to MF

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
              Are you joking? He can afford to buy Harvard university.
              ....and still have enough money left for a burrito....

Comment

MOOCs from Great Universities (Many With Certificates) | Open Culture
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Takes a long time with the OU as well. I did half of it which gives you a Certificate in Management or something but it's gonna be 15 hours a week for a good number of years.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

https://www.futurelearn.com/programs...ent-leadership

Comment

Working...
                    X