• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Notice

Hi All,

I started a contract and worked for 1 week and 2 days and I met with a minor accident and have sustained leg injury and finding it difficult to travel a long distance to work. I requested Work from Home option, which was denied because of the nature of the project. The contract started that 1 week = 1 day notice and afterwards I have to give 30 days written notice.

I have acknowledged the fact and sent them an email about my notice period. I even sent them my medical certificate for 7 days and the agency said that they want to call up my surgery to enquire? Is that even correct or ethical?

Secondly one of agency member says that they "firstly never acknowledged acceptance for notice period.
    Secondly a notice cannot be served without physical presence at work place" . Is this even correct? I checked the contract and it never specifies that.

I feel that I am being harassed and my notice period is not being taken seriously. Please I need your suggestions.

Thanks

So OP Im a bit confused? Are you wanting to get out of the contract now or willing to stay? Or are agency/client trying to give you notice?

Also, assume you're not lying about this injury??

To be honest, if you genuinely can't get to the office, then you've been up front and told client that you can't and have offered to work from home. And they've said no - correct?

If thats the case, then, if it was me, I'd be pointing out to client that look, I'm trying to help but I really can't get into office for approx x weeks. They might wait or they might say stuff it and can you. Sometimes there will be a clause to allow them to do so.

To be honest, I wouldn't have sent sick note to agency and I certainly won't be letting them discuss my medical issues with my GP. Bollax to that.

All they need to know, is that you've had an accident, you can't get to office, you've offered to work from home, but may be in office after x weeks. Go away and sort it out and f off with the heavy handed stuff - its none of their business AT ALL.

What they're thinking is you're trying it on and they know the client may can you and they'll lose their cut. So they're trying to bully you.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor12 View Post
      Hi All,

I started a contract and worked for 1 week and 2 days and I met with a minor accident and have sustained leg injury and finding it difficult to travel a long distance to work. I requested Work from Home option, which was denied because of the nature of the project. The contract started that 1 week = 1 day notice and afterwards I have to give 30 days written notice.

I have acknowledged the fact and sent them an email about my notice period. I even sent them my medical certificate for 7 days and the agency said that they want to call up my surgery to enquire? Is that even correct or ethical?

Secondly one of agency member says that they "firstly never acknowledged acceptance for notice period.
      Secondly a notice cannot be served without physical presence at work place" . Is this even correct? I checked the contract and it never specifies that.

I feel that I am being harassed and my notice period is not being taken seriously. Please I need your suggestions.

Thanks
      You have been there more than one week, so your notice period is 30 days. Give 30 days notice if you want to leave.

Does the contract sipulate that you need to give the notice in person? If it does then they are right, if it doesn't then they are wrong.

If you want to leave then give them 30 days notice. I don't see what the problem is here.

Comment

I agree - you've been less than clear. What outcome are you seeking?

My understanding is that if your company is unable to fulfil the contract because a key employee is injured, then the contract is frustrated and it can be terminated without any further action.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Why are you looking to break the contract if you are only unavailable for 7 days?

Can you not all in "sick" for that period and then go back when your leg is better, a minor inconvenience for all parties at most
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Hi All,

I have acknowledged the fact and sent them an email about my notice period. I even sent them my medical certificate for 7 days and the agency said that they want to call up my surgery to enquire? Is that even correct or ethical
            They can call up the surgery but the only thing the receptionist can do is verify that the sick note is genuine. If they wish to find out how long you will be away then the surgery mustn't say otherwise they are breaching Data Protection laws. You then should make a formal complaint, escalate and change surgeries to one where the admin staff can keep their mouths shut.

Read your contract. How do they accept termination notices? Most of mine say it must be sent by mail.

Nonsense

You are only feeling like you are being harassed because you are not making sense.

If the injury is minor then after 5-7 days off it you can go back to the contract.

If you want to leave as "minor" means you have actually really stretched or ripped ligaments, then you just need to email the notice to both the agency and client. Then get to the post office and sent the agent a registered delivery copy of your notice letter.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Contract Notice

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
              You have been there more than one week, so your notice period is 30 days. Give 30 days notice if you want to leave.

Does the contract sipulate that you need to give the notice in person? If it does then they are right, if it doesn't then they are wrong.

If you want to leave then give them 30 days notice. I don't see what the problem is here.
              The contract only says 30 days notice in writing. Hence I gave them a written notice in an email for which they said they cannot acknowledge my notice and I have to physically present at work to hand in the notice.
              Last edited by NotAllThere; 31 May 2016, 13:47. Reason: Fixed formatting

Comment

I'm sorry, but this is completely incoherent. Please try to be clear what your issues are.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Why are you looking to break the contract if you are only unavailable for 7 days?

Can you not all in "sick" for that period and then go back when your leg is better, a minor inconvenience for all parties at most
                  Ah OP has sick note for 7 days but I presumed illness would be longer than that. I know a lot of GPs tend to give out 7 days at a time especially first off but you know its going to be month minimum.

Be a harsh client who canned you for a one week sickie. OK they might be a bit peed off but.....
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    I'm sorry, but this is completely incoherent. Please try to be clear what your issues are.
                    The OP has messed up the quote tags and quoted his reply to the unquoted bit

<reply>
                    The contract only says 30 days notice in writing. Hence I gave them a written notice in an email for which they said they cannot acknowledge my notice and I have to physically present at work to hand in the notice. </reply>

Comment

Working...
                    X