• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you travel to client do you always charge T+S on top of day rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you travel to client do you always charge T+S on top of day rate?

Title says it all. Just interested.
    How do you justify it if the day rate is good anyway (say > £550)

Originally posted by garnet View Post
    Depends on your negotiation skills and whether the client wants you enough.
    I have managed it, but it's the exception rather than the norm.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Don't normally bother, just set the day rate to account for any T&S costs expected. Much easier than getting into negotiations with clients and agents over acceptable rates etc. they only have to worry about the bottom line invoice cost.

If I'm working direct I normally tell the client T&S is included unless they want me to travel to other sites, in which case I bill them at cost.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

WFH, so yes.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It depends.

I don't have a blanket rule on it. Instead I will factor in travel when it comes to discussing rate, if the distance merits it.

Also, if I am not WFH then I make sure my contracts specify the main site I would be expected to work at and that any travel to other sites is chargeable if applicable.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I've never charged but then again, I've never needed to or it's never been an option. If I'm working in London, I've got a £200 uplift on my day rate from Manchester rates. If I'm in Manchester, my costs are minimal anyway (12 miles return journey) so isn't worth the hassle.

The only way I'd get involved in expenses is if the gig is away from Manchester and the rates are low (and it's via a consultancy who generally pass expenses on to end client) or if there are expenses to be incurred in visiting other sites.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Did a contract which specified one visit to their customer site once every 6 weeks with no expenses paid. Fair enough - I knew up front.

In the end, over 2 years and I think I went 5 times so no issues. Did an upgrade two of these times which meant overnighter. So permies stayed Hilton, I stayed in etap!
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Did a contract which specified one visit to their customer site once every 6 weeks with no expenses paid. Fair enough - I knew up front.

In the end, over 2 years and I think I went 5 times so no issues. Did an upgrade two of these times which meant overnighter. So permies stayed Hilton, I stayed in etap!
                What did it cost you in headphones?

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
                  Depends on the location and frequentcy of travel. If I'm expected to be on site all the time then I don't; if I'm not then I would charge for the occasional visit. Anything overseas, I charge travel time plus expenses.

I justify it be explaining that my rate is either inclusinve of travel costs or exclusive. It's not a difficult discussion to have. I have cut my day rate in the past to get to a working from home plus costs paid if I travel, which worked fine when I needed to go to America and to Germany every so often.

Comment

Based on the OP's previous questions...

What answer are you hoping someone will say?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X