• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ir35 discussion document out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ir35 discussion document out

It would appear that this will initially at least only apply within the public sector. Interestingly it is the agency closest to the contractor that is liable for determining Ir35 status but if hmrc decides they got it wrong they can still come after the supplier of the services. How can that be right. If someone else is responsible for determining my Ir35 status and yet I can still be held liable for their mistakes. Also if the agency is collecting the ni and pay for hmrc does this make the contractor eligible for other employment rights. The consultation document says no.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...egislation.pdf

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    It would appear that this will initially at least only apply within the public sector. Interestingly it is the agency closest to the contractor that is liable for determining Ir35 status but if hmrc decides they got it wrong they can still come after the supplier of the services. How can that be right. If someone else is responsible for determining my Ir35 status and yet I can still be held liable for their mistakes. Also if the agency is collecting the ni and pay for hmrc does this make the contractor eligible for other employment rights. The consultation document says no.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...egislation.pdf
    Which bit said they will come after the supplier ?

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
      Which bit said they will come after the supplier ?
      Page 28

Comment

There's more discussion here

http://forums.contractoruk.com/newre...0539&noquote=1

Comment

Thanks! Busy so was just skim reading it...

Its going to make dealings with agency's something of a tightrope walk. Really need to be careful what you say on the phone and via email.

Comment

Headaches ahead

As im new I thought Id read this. Looks like the agency will assess my status, using tools designed by the taxman, well I cant see that being a fair, balanced and unbiased outcome.

But what really looks scary is if you disagree then you have to use the tribunals to get a fair outcome, talk about costly and time consuming.

What ever happended to paying the right tax, didnt know the law was now "pay the most tax".

Im going to write to them. Maybe we all should.

Comment

Originally posted by katyrobbinson View Post
              As im new I thought Id read this. Looks like the agency will assess my status, using tools designed by the taxman, well I cant see that being a fair, balanced and unbiased outcome.

But what really looks scary is if you disagree then you have to use the tribunals to get a fair outcome, talk about costly and time consuming.

What ever happended to paying the right tax, didnt know the law was now "pay the most tax".

Im going to write to them. Maybe we all should.
              HMRC's view of pay the right tax is to pay the most tax.

Just follow everyone else and leave them too it for a while.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Just follow everyone else and leave them too it for a while.
                Not sure what you mean. Shouldn't we fight for our right to keep our money. It says that if you are taxed as an employee they are not going to give your employment rights. Thats unjust. Maybe in time I will become cynical but right now Im for a fight.

Comment

Not sure what you mean. Shouldn't we fight for our right to keep our money. It says that if you are taxed as an employee they are not going to give your employment rights. Thats unjust. Maybe in time I will become cynical but right now Im for a fight.
                  You are going to end up poor to be frank. Our first line of defence is staying below the radar...

Comment

No. Accept it as a done deal and spend the year escaping before everyone else discovers the problem...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X