• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract review - not for IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract review - not for IR35

I need to get a legal review of a subcontractor agreement done to make sure there are no inappropriate clauses in it. This is to ensure it's fit for general good business practice (i.e. payment, IP, etc.), rather than anything IR35 related. The agreement itself doesn't provide any work (that's done using individual work orders), it just provides the framework for providing services. The agreement is with a US based company.

As an example, one clause I have already got removed states something similar to "...for 1 year after the agreement is terminated, the provider will not perform any competitive activity for product & services". I've seen this a few times in recent years with US companies (and successfully had them removed). Bit of a red line to sign something which may prevent you carrying out your main line of work for 1 year.

Seems that IPSE/Abbey Tax provide a contract review service, so I may be inclined to go with them unless anyone has another suggestion ?

Look up a contracts guy called Egos on Google. He has a good reputation for contracts issues.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      Look up a contracts guy called Egos on Google. He has a good reputation for contracts issues.
      What he said.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Ahh, forgot about Roger, thanks !

Comment

Personally, I'd be looking for someone who is registered as a solicitor with the Law Society.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
            Personally, I'd be looking for someone who is registered as a solicitor with the Law Society.
            Now, I do remember reading something about Egos a few years back. Wonder if that's why Roger didn't spring to mind

Comment

Is the contract governed by American law or English law? If American, you'd want someone who actually knows something about American law....

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                Is the contract governed by American law or English law? If American, you'd want someone who actually knows something about American law....
                It states if the Ltd is incorporated in the EU, then the agreement is governed by the laws of England & Wales.

So I'm good, 'cos that's not going to change, right

Comment

Working...
                X