• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Never ending support after contract finished!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never ending support after contract finished!!

Hi Guys,

I work as an IT contractor - and I recently finished a contract with an HR department in a large company. Part of the project was to implement a new system - which I project managed and implemented myself before the contract came to a natural end and they released me.

However - a few months down the line - typical issues are being experienced with the system. The majority of these are just skill gaps where the guys there don't know what they are doing to configure the system (I did provide some documentation). There are some bugs that exist that only became apparent after some time using the system (e.g. It wasn't carelessness on my part)

The issue is - they keep emailing me every week asking me to support or fix different things - but I think they are expecting me to do this for free... as in their mind it "should have worked".

My feeling is that they are being a bit naive trying to host a software platform without any sort of in house support.

What are your guys thoughts? is it reasonalbe for them to expect me to do these changes for free? or should I be asking them to pay me - even if the bugs that exist were technically my fault to begin with?

I really like these guys - but I am starting a new role next week - so my ability to support them will be very limited.

Thanks for your help!

No testing sign off?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by dltasty View Post
      Hi Guys,

I work as an IT contractor - and I recently finished a contract with an HR department in a large company. Part of the project was to implement a new system - which I project managed and implemented myself before the contract came to a natural end and they released me.

However - a few months down the line - typical issues are being experienced with the system. The majority of these are just skill gaps where the guys there don't know what they are doing to configure the system (I did provide some documentation). There are some bugs that exist that only became apparent after some time using the system (e.g. It wasn't carelessness on my part)

The issue is - they keep emailing me every week asking me to support or fix different things - but I think they are expecting me to do this for free... as in their mind it "should have worked".

My feeling is that they are being a bit naive trying to host a software platform without any sort of in house support.

What are your guys thoughts? is it reasonalbe for them to expect me to do these changes for free? or should I be asking them to pay me - even if the bugs that exist were technically my fault to begin with?

I really like these guys - but I am starting a new role next week - so my ability to support them will be very limited.

Thanks for your help!
      offer them retainment agreement where they pay you few daily rates 2-4 days and you agree to fix these problems (or pocket the money for free).
      Explain them you cant work for free etc.

Comment

I wouldn't touch anything outwith a contract through a limited for legal reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          No testing sign off?
          Like that means tulip....

Comment

Read your contract

It rather depends on what was in your contract. Sometimes there are clauses that say any re-working of "substandard" work must be done at the contractor's expense. It's usually added as an anti IR35 measure, to differentiate you from an employee.

That said, what were your contracted terms? Were there deliverables mentioned? Any reference to a warranty period?

If it was a standard 40hrs contract, and they released you then that is where your obligation ends. Anything else is time and materials.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

The reason they keep emailing you and expecting you to fix things for free is you did it once. Big mistake.

Don't do it again.

Next time they want anything, tell them they will only get support if they pay for it. If they need more training, they pay for it.

Money focuses the mind.....

Comment

What does your original contract say?

If there is no discussion of post warranty support you then have to decide how you want to play it, suggest a one or two day on site consultancy to see what the issues are, if they baulk at the prospect of having to pay you to get back on site then that pretty much ends the question.

Once you know the scope of what they are asking you can then see if the issues were your fault and against their original requirements (however unlikely, but it will be nice for them to hear) or if they are asking for changes to the system which you can then quote for the work.
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  What does your original contract say?

If there is no discussion of post warranty support you then have to decide how you want to play it, suggest a one or two day on site consultancy to see what the issues are, if they baulk at the prospect of having to pay you to get back on site then that pretty much ends the question.

Once you know the scope of what they are asking you can then see if the issues were your fault and against their original requirements (however unlikely, but it will be nice for them to hear) or if they are asking for changes to the system which you can then quote for the work.
                  This ^

If there wasn't anything in the contract to say otherwise any future work in my eyes is chargeable. A lot of contracts give a time frame where you might have to offer some warranty coverage. I would just wish them all the best and say contact you after your next contract ends if they need any further assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    It rather depends on what was in your contract. Sometimes there are clauses that say any re-working of "substandard" work must be done at the contractor's expense. It's usually added as an anti IR35 measure, to differentiate you from an employee.

That said, what were your contracted terms? Were there deliverables mentioned? Any reference to a warranty period?

If it was a standard 40hrs contract, and they released you then that is where your obligation ends. Anything else is time and materials.
                    You seem to know a lot about how to manage re-work

Comment

Working...
                    X