• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mainframes are dead! long live the mainframe!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mainframes are dead! long live the mainframe!

Right chaps, had my training plan drawn up yesterday, loads of IBM Z/OS and AS400 stuff mixed in with a sprinkle of Solaris/AIX.

Before I go and put my heart and soul into learning these new technologies I'd like to know that my contracting future will be improved with the aforementioned skills on my CV?

TIA

Not sure about Solaris and AIX (Linux eating their lunch), but I think z/OS (MVS) and AS400 will be around forever.

Sound choice!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
      Not sure about Solaris and AIX (Linux eating their lunch), but I think z/OS (MVS) and AS400 will be around forever.

Sound choice!
      i know as400 guys that are struggling... i believe the hay days of £600/day are over in this field
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

I am doing an integration contract now. One of the systems is an AS/400. Alive and well, with lots of application changes going on. Seems a sound choice.

SAP is the future though.

Comment

I thought .NET was "the future" DP

Comment

Ask Milan. He knows.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
              Ask Milan. He knows.
              ...and he is working this weekend!
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon
                ...and he is working this weekend!
                At McDonalds.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
                  At McDonalds.
                  So he's gone up in the world since last year then?

Comment

Originally posted by DGK
                    So he's gone up in the world since last year then?
                    He has got 3 stars now.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X