• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stamp duty and buying land to build on

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stamp duty and buying land to build on

Q&A: New 3% Stamp Duty surcharge on second homes - Zoopla

Q. Do plots of land count?

A. Just like regular Stamp Duty, the 3% loading will only apply to purchases of residential property. A plot of land (even if it will subsequently be used for a home) is not counted as residential, so the surcharge will never apply.

Similarly, if you already own a plot of land and are buying an additional property, it will not be considered for purposes of the higher tax.

Ask an expert: 'Can I avoid extra stamp duty by building my second home?' 

My in-laws are gifting us a building plot. We plan to build a new home and keep our current house to rent out. The value of the plot is £107,000, the build cost is £180,000 and the final value will be around £400,000. Will we be liable for stamp duty on any part of this, and will the extra stamp duty charge for second homes apply to us? RA, via email

Generally speaking, building a house incurs far less stamp duty than buying one, as stamp duty is paid on the purchase price of the land rather than the value of the finished home.

That means a home worth £400,000 built on a £107,000 plot of land would be stamp-duty free, as the land wouldn’t exceed the threshold (£125,000 for residential or £150,000 for non-residential) to pay stamp duty.

So the smart thing now is to buy a plot of land (hopefully under £125K), which attracts zero Stamp Duty, get an house built on it.

buy some fence a padlock and just steal some land and make up proof of fake ownership for 10 years

and its yours for free no stamp duty to pay

Comment

I know a property developer and builder, an acquaintance of mine, who bought some land without planning permission for next to nothing.

He applied for planning to build a detached house and was turned down, lost at appeal.

He submitted new plans for a very large triple sized double length detached garage, with tall roof line to provide off road parking and storage, and was granted permission. Built said garage.

Then applied for change of use, to convert garage to separate two-storey dwelling, and was given planning.

Made a massive profit. You gotta love the planning laws here. I blame the EU.

Comment

1.8 arces overlooking the kingdom of fife. Yours for £70k

Residential Development for sale in Residential Development, Whitehills Sawmill, Crossgates, Fife, KY4 8EX , KY4

You could build an empire with your contracting income.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I know a property developer and builder, an acquaintance of mine, who bought some land without planning permission for next to nothing.

He applied for planning to build a detached house and was turned down, lost at appeal.

He submitted new plans for a very large triple sized double length detached garage, with tall roof line to provide off road parking and storage, and was granted permission. Built said garage.

Then applied for change of use, to convert garage to separate two-storey dwelling, and was given planning.

Made a massive profit. You gotta love the planning laws here. I blame the EU.
          yep comes under permitted development now

old office blocks can be converted to residential just under permitted development now

why did he need offroad parking on a field

Comment

Originally posted by unemployed View Post

why did he need offroad parking on a field
            Dunno, not sure they even asked, but because it wasn't a house, getting permission for an "out building" was easy. Then get permission to convert outbuilding to residential property was easy. Bonkers but worth knowing.

Comment

Bonkers but worth knowing.

lol i already did

Comment

So the smart thing now is to buy a plot of land (hopefully under £125K), which attracts zero Stamp Duty, get an house built on it.
                Great plan.

Only one tiny drawback - best places already got houses built up.

Comment

Working...
                X