• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The EU protects t'workers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The EU protects t'workers

If true, how is this possible?

France labour reform: Hundreds of thousands protest - BBC News

Uncontrolled immigration and cheap EU labour flooding every country not just the Uk keeping wages low, and taking jobs from the local workforce (yes I know Lazy youth bla bla bla) how exactly is that protecting workers

Comment

"35-hour working week"

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
        Uncontrolled immigration and cheap EU labour flooding every country not just the Uk keeping wages low, and taking jobs from the local workforce (yes I know Lazy youth bla bla bla) how exactly is that protecting workers
        Frank Field is right, the EU is great for the middle and upper classes. Migration from eastern europe provides supply of cheap servant labour and the middle/upper demographic benefits most financially, particularly the elite. Conversely the working class have been squeezed the hardest. I cannot fathom why the Labour official line is pro EU. Outside of metropolitan areas it's pushing lower class people to UKIP. IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
          cheap EU labour flooding every country not just the Uk keeping wages low
          This is the main reason big business favours Bremain - excess supply reduces and keeps down the wage cost, basic economics. EU bureaucracy and regulations which favour larger companies help them too, making life harder for smaller competitors.

The politicians in favour of Bremain are primarily considering personal gain - nice well paid 'retirement' jobs in Brussels ("Lord & Lady Kinnock's £10m Euro gravy train").

Comment

The EU sets minimum standards of workers rights.

Workers in France have a lot more rights than in the UK and the Netherlands who both have flexible labour markets.

It is almost impossible to sack someone or make them redundant in France. People tend to take a job and stay there for life. (This is more inflexible than Nordic countries.) The result of this is that companies don't want to take on young people leading to high unemployment.

I have been told stories by more than one French person of how large companies get rid of people in France. Lots of employment contracts have clauses in them where they are allowed to make the worker move location though the clause has never been enacted. So what the company does when they need to get rid of a few people is every few months make those people move to a different office. Eventually the people find a new job and resigns, but on a couple of occasions they top themselves.

As a result in London you find a lot of French expats.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
              Frank Field is right, the EU is great for the middle and upper classes. Migration from eastern europe provides supply of cheap servant labour and the middle/upper demographic benefits most financially, particularly the elite. Conversely the working class have been squeezed the hardest. I cannot fathom why the Labour official line is pro EU. Outside of metropolitan areas it's pushing lower class people to UKIP. IMHO
              If we exit the EU will will still have that labour.

Before some of the Eastern European countries that are now in the EU were even accession countries, workers from those countries could easily get visas to work in the UK to do things like farming and care work. They were massively exploited.

I remember telling some Eastern Europeans I met on holiday not to come to the UK because of the horror stories. What was more interesting is that a couple of them had friends' in the UK who were suffering and even though they told their friendship groups this they weren't believed.

Unfortunately the UK needs to have more soaps or whatever showing people living in tulip conditions to deter immigrants.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
              X