• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If I have a remote job, can I expense hotels?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I have a remote job, can I expense hotels?

So if I have a remote job, can I work a week from Barcelona and expense the hotel while working from there?

Originally posted by ujjain View Post
    So if I have a remote job, can I work a week from Barcelona and expense the hotel while working from there?
    Why are you in Barcelona?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

You can't expense the hotel.

But you can work where the damn you like.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Why not reach a bit higher and go somewhere more expensive / exotic?
        Fill yer boots
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I guess your accountant said no so you've come looking for a second opinion?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Unfortunately we have to answer in a professional manner because you've posted in the Accounting/Legal forum. Think about it - is the expenditure on a hotel incurred wholly and necessarily for the purpose of doing business? No, it's because you *want* to have a week in Barcelona, not because you *need* to be in Barcelona on business.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Why are you in Barcelona?

Probably not, but I'd guess he's got family who have gone on holiday to Barcelona and he's now thinking of putting their receipts through his company, or trying to get HMRC to pay him to go on holiday.

(basing this on the quality of his previous questions, such as trying to pay himself as a charity using Justgiving, trying to buy shares using his company but taking dividends himself and a few other classics)

Edit: I am *tempted* to move this thread to General.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Yes, you can.

If the hotel and travel bill isn't necessarily incurred wholly and exclusively for the business then you just need to either (a) hope that you don't get caught or (b) declare it on your P11D and pay the appropriate level of tax on the benefit received.

Comment

Sounds a tad dodgy to me

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                    Sounds a tad dodgy to me
                    Nothing at all dodgy as long as you declare it and pay the due tax.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X