• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The ways of IT contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ways of IT contracting

The more you get paid (day rate), the less you do.

Discuss.

Originally posted by Xoverabarrell View Post

Discuss.
    Controversial point but I would tend to agree.

I've found that the lower the contract rate, the more the client wants their pound of flesh and invariably the more likely they are to have to be chased for invoices, particularly if direct.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
      Controversial point but I would tend to agree.

I've found that the lower the contract rate, the more the client wants their pound of flesh and invariably the more likely they are to have to be chased for invoices, particularly if direct.
      The phrase you want is reassuringly expensive
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Discuss.
        That's because the people who get paid more aren't doing menial jobs like rebooting servers and sucking builds onto end user PCs. it might look to a low grade techy like they are doing less, but they're not.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Discuss.
          Oh I don't know. I'd sleep with some right munters if the price is right. Even NLUK.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I don't know.

£200 a day and I was finished and in the pub by 11am.

£450 a day and would get back at 10pm sometimes.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Discuss.
              This applies to permies and contractors, it's seemingly the norm
              So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Discuss.
                Yes. From my experience.

Low rate usually means frenzied code monkey at some skin flint client counting every penny, rubbing shoulders with cheapo Bobs.

High rate you are usually much further up the IT food chain, lots of meetings and Powerpoints, nodding of heads and synergizing.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Yes. From my experience.

Low rate usually means frenzied code monkey at some skin flint client counting every penny, rubbing shoulders with cheapo Bobs.

High rate you are usually much further up the IT food chain, lots of meetings and Powerpoints, nodding of heads and synergizing.
                  Sounds about right

The highest rate I got I worked a lot less for than the bottom end ones. When I first started out I got a rate of £280/day and the hiring manager there talked about how he wanted to get "value add"

Fast forward a few years and the higher rates have meant as u put it more meetings and philosophising. It's actually a bit soul destroying.

My best role to date was working in Skipton doing a migration on a decent rate. Managed to get on really well with everybody and flexed my technical muscles. Delivered a super migration too. Money isn't everything.

Comment

Think the reason is something like this

Hiring manager will have in his head a figure which is 'a lot of money' and so if you earn less than that he/she will see you as below them and therefore able to treat you like turd

if you are above that he will see you as better than him and so he/she will kiss your ass

Got to remember there is no grey areas with these idiots - either you are worse than them and so they treat you like tulip or you are better than them and so they kiss your arse

fookin hate dense coonts like that

Comment

Working...
                    X