• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you lost a contract cos they didnt like your personality?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you lost a contract cos they didnt like your personality?

As a contractor with 8 years experience I have found that the quality of my work is not an issue. I recently managed to do half a day at a academic institute before they decided they didnt like me and asked for a replacement. So what are other contractors experiences in that regard? I realise of course you cant make everyone happy. Only consolation is it wasnt because of poor work performance. Contracting sometimes is just tough.

Never had it happen to me and I have quite a larger than life personality, I wouldn't say I'm shocked to hear it has happened though. Contractors can get cut for numerous reasons and that's if any reason is given.
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

I had a client once I did not renew with. They went ballistic. I then knew I made the right choice.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I consider that being prepared to be disliked is a key skill within my repertoire. As a contractor you are often paid to say or do things that would be morally or politically impossible for the people that want a career within a company to say. That said I have never been walked off site for being the wrong fit and I am pretty brutal when it comes to interviews so that I can make it more than clear that the client will be wilfully hiring a total bastard if they use me.

Comment

Originally posted by AttentivIS View Post
          As a contractor with 8 years experience I have found that the quality of my work is not an issue. I recently managed to do half a day at a academic institute before they decided they didnt like me and asked for a replacement. So what are other contractors experiences in that regard? I realise of course you cant make everyone happy. Only consolation is it wasnt because of poor work performance. Contracting sometimes is just tough.
          What didn't they like about you?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            ^This.

Depends on what they define "personality" as.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Who knows? All I got was I made someone uncomfortable. That said I have done desktop support in the BBC never had complaints.

Comment

Maybe, in reality, your work is crap and they told you they didn't like you as an excuse
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Who knows? All I got was I made someone uncomfortable. That said I have done desktop support in the BBC never had complaints.
                  One can make someone uncomfortable in multiple ways.

The very presence of people like MF in the room is enough to have a gag outbreak and make everyone in the room uncomfortable.

Were you being a naughty boy?

Comment

i got perm job couple of years back lasted 2 weeks .

office had a bunch of morons working in it , surprised i did not fit in really

Comment

Working...
                    X