• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vehicle tax collected fell £200m after paper discs axed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vehicle tax collected fell £200m after paper discs axed

"The amount of vehicle excise duty collected from motorists fell by more than £200m in the six months after the tax disc was abolished, figures show.

The data, obtained by the Financial Times, showed £2.7bn was collected in the six months after an online system was introduced in October 2014.

Critics had warned the change would lead to confusion among motorists.

The National Audit Office said the change had likely caused "an initial increase" in non-payment.

But it added that "overall non-compliance remains very low".

The figures obtained from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) show that between October 2014 and March 2015 some £2.7bn was collected in vehicle tax - £223m lower than the same period a year earlier."

Source: Vehicle tax collected fell £200m after paper discs axed - BBC News

Just paid mine today, £515

Fookers should have kept the old system - buying car with tax already on it made sense, even those tax disks were nice to have for yer money.

Get a more CO2 efficient car.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Why would anyone want to do that? No fun in low co2.... :-p
      Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

If they fixed the potholes...
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Get a sexy girlfriend and stop stressing over crap.
          FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Intel View Post
            Why would anyone want to do that? No fun in low co2.... :-p
            Almost always true.

Comment

I am planning on doing so, however it will still be £ 515

Comment

If I were the DVLA I would have a new section on the V5C for the new owner to apply for tax and/or make it very obvious the new owner needs to do so. Not an instant fix - it would only work once the new V5Cs were in issue - however it would surely help.

You could also include a reminder when a new V5C was issued or do they now do that?

Thought I'd share my idea!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  If I were the DVLA I would have a new section on the V5C for the new owner to apply for tax and/or make it very obvious the new owner needs to do so. Not an instant fix - it would only work once the new V5Cs were in issue - however it would surely help.

You could also include a reminder when a new V5C was issued or do they now do that?

Thought I'd share my idea!
                  V5C take ages to come.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Fookers should have kept the old system - buying car with tax already on it made sense, even those tax disks were nice to have for yer money.
                    A piece of paper for £515? What are you? MF?

They sell dozen for a pound in Bradford

Comment

Working...
                    X