• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

High tech business vs low tech business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High tech business vs low tech business

Inspired by a TV program I watched the other day, compare and contrast the following:

IT contractor company

Years of experience and very good skills needed in some pretty complicated technical computer/software systems. Probably degree educated and willing to travel all over the place to secure work.

Hated by the tax man, pursued ruthlessly as an undesirable tax avoider.

£400/day average.

Wheelie bin cleaning company

No experience needed. Van or pickup truck with water supply, jet wash and some cheap detergent. No qualifications needed. £3 per bin cleaned. Cleaning time a few minutes tops. Mostly local work, no long commutes.

Mostly cash in hand, tax man has no clue to real earnings. Tax man sees this as a "real" business, takes no real notice.

200 bins cleaned per day x £3

The guy on the TV program was living a lifestyle above the average contractor that's for sure...
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 7 June 2016, 21:07.

It's not rare.

Not far from me is a plumbing company that makes millions of pounds a year. The plumbers themselves live in some rather large and expensive houses.

They aren't rare as lots of the large houses are owned by builders who brought them run down from old people them did them up.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      It's not rare.

Not far from me is a plumbing company that makes millions of pounds a year. The plumbers themselves live in some rather large and expensive houses.

They aren't rare as lots of the large houses are owned by builders who brought them run down from old people them did them up.
      Yep, we still kid ourselves that we are "big earners" it's a bit of a joke really.

I know people in the building trade and related work that earn top contractor money, no qualifications or hassle.

I know a plumber who earns £50K pa. but he only works 2 days a week locally. Spends all his time with the kids or playing golf.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I know a plumber who earns £50K pa. but he only works 2 days a week locally. Spends all his time with the kids or playing golf.
        If you got your house paid off then quality of life becomes more important - why bother earning more than 50k from which half will be will be taken in tax AND can lose kids tax credits? Gidiot wanted unemployed to work so much that he got the situation when some people would not bother eraning more and pay more tax at high rate, even though he relies more on them to pay for his fantasy projects

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          If you got your house paid off then quality of life becomes more important - why bother earning more than 50k from which half will be will be taken in tax AND can lose kids tax credits? Gidiot wanted unemployed to work so much that he got the situation when some people would not bother eraning more and pay more tax at high rate, even though he relies more on them to pay for his fantasy projects
          It was this. He used to work 6 days a week, paid off the mortgage on a nice family house, and thought, **** you tax grabbing greedy ****ers, I'm going to spend my time with my family and pursuing my hobbies and sports.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            It was this. He used to work 6 days a week, paid off the mortgage on a nice family house, and thought, **** you tax grabbing greedy ****ers, I'm going to spend my time with my family and pursuing my hobbies and sports.

Heck if only I could find a client willing to take me on 2 or 3 days a week....

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              Heck if only I could find a client willing to take me on 2 or 3 days a week....
              If you are a self employed plumber/boiler fitter (which is what he is), you can work 7 days a week, or not at all. There's tonnes of work, good money and you work as much as you feel you want to, when you want to.

Comment

There are some odd businesses around. Who would think one could make a living as a professional motorcycle cleaner? Yet a bloke in our village obviously makes enough to have a big shiny new van with the company logo and details on it.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

here we go a new biz for me

Trim Your Bush gardeners offer nude services as business goes global | Daily Mail Online

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Gidiot wanted unemployed to work

how do you know ???

Comment

Working...
                    X