• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit immigration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit immigration

So listening to Farage and co it seems that they aren't against immigration, just EU immigration.

In fact all brexiteers seem hell bent on reinstating commonwealth immigration, in particular from India.

Sure they mutter things about points-based systems, but we know how those types of controls can be fiddled with.

So is an 'out' vote really just a vote for fast-track visas and intra-company transfers a la 2003?
    I get up...

Yes the Leave campaign is promising more non-EU immigration it seems:

https://next.ft.com/content/94adcefa...c-ee846770ec15

Vote Leave is hoping to secure the backing of British Asians by telling them that if Britain quits the EU, it will mean more immigration from elsewhere in the world.
    but it will be "controlled immigration"

You have to differentiate between uncontrolled immigration and controlled immigration.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

You have to distinguish between immigration we want and immigration we don't want. Ethnicity and creed don't come into it. Just how useful you are. A bit like a contractor to a pimp.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
        You have to distinguish between immigration we want and immigration we don't want. Ethnicity and creed don't come into it. Just how useful you are. A bit like a contractor to a pimp.
        It's this. At the moment Europeans of all races and creeds (though mostly white I suspect) can enter, stay, claim benefits, with no checks on "usefulness" or economic benefit to the UK.

Once out of the EU, we can pull useful people from all over the World, this will mean more Africans, Asians etc as the EU numbers are restricted by the same immigration points system.

That's the theory anyways.

I suspect in practice it will be the usual shambolic, uncontrolled entry of whoever is cheapest from wherever to keep the big tax dodging companies happy...

Comment

Have you no recollection of how contracting was hammered under the FTV scheme? Rates plummeted
          I get up...

Comment

Originally posted by ClothCap View Post
            Have you no recollection of how contracting was hammered under the FTV scheme? Rates plummeted
            and never recovered (and never will).

HTH BIDI

Comment

And how much baggage you bring with you. 1 skilled contractor with 15 dependants isn't going to work either.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

You have to differentiate between uncontrolled immigration and controlled immigration.
                Exactly. Think of it like changing to a healthy diet. You will still need to eat, it is just that you will be eating things that are good for you rather than being force-fed a "Greggs" supersize regime.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Because controlled immigrants don't put pressure on schools, the NHS or other public services; don't put pressure on housing because they don't need places to live, don't clog up the roads, etc. etc. Those are the complaints Brexiters have about immigration, not how qualified everyone is.

I wonder if Vote Leave announced that they planned to increase immigration over what it is now how much support they'd have by the end of the week? As it is they keep very quiet on numbers.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Because controlled immigrants don't put pressure on schools, the NHS or other public services; don't put pressure on housing because they don't need places to live, don't clog up the roads, etc. etc. Those are the complaints Brexiters have about immigration, not how qualified everyone is.

I wonder if Vote Leave announced that they planned to increase immigration over what it is now how much support they'd have by the end of the week? As it is they keep very quiet on numbers.
                    Immigration should fall after Brexit as the millions of EU loafers are told to get out......yeah right, even I don't believe that will happen.

Comment

Working...
                    X