• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help with technical trading terms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with technical trading terms

Not a sarky post this, but I'm genuinely interested to know the technical term(s) for the "betting" or "positioning" which large investment banks might do in advance of the EU referendum in the hope of making pot loads of money.

I know, or think I know, that "hedging" is what they do to avoid losing loads of money, and I suspect the phrases I'm looking for may be, among possibly others, "going short" or "going long", depending on what they consider the most likely outcome.

Any ideas? Anyone round here a trader or savvy in trading lingo?

Or let's put it this way, if you were a Wall Street fat cat will billions to invest but eager to earn billions more, what would you do financially, assuming, say, you considered Remain more likely to win?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

dogging?

Comment

I doubt if any of the smart money has a direct position (too risky if it goes wrong), more likely a volatility arbitrage trade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volatility_arbitrage

They will be making money on the rising volatility between, say Euro or Pound vs something completely unaffected by the Brexit farce, and then make money on the falling volatility afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
        dogging?
        He's not talking abut toilet trading

Comment

Snorting.........I mean shorting
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            I doubt if any of the smart money has a direct position (too risky if it goes wrong), more likely a volatility arbitrage trade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volatility_arbitrage

They will be making money on the rising volatility between, say Euro or Pound vs something completely unaffected by the Brexit farce, and then make money on the falling volatility afterwards.
            SmartShrimp has nailed it.

If you're familiar with horse racing, it's the equivalent of using oddschecker to get the best prices on what you want to do, or in-play betting in football (we're in-play on the long football match that is the campaign trail). Obviously there's the human element - gut feel. Do you realistically think that brexit or remain will happen and therefore you'd be more inclined to slight back one side more than the other.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              SmartShrimp has nailed it.

If you're familiar with horse racing, it's the equivalent of using oddschecker to get the best prices on what you want to do, or in-play betting in football (we're in-play on the long football match that is the campaign trail). Obviously there's the human element - gut feel. Do you realistically think that brexit or remain will happen and therefore you'd be more inclined to slight back one side more than the other.
              I genuinely researched this Last night, Brexit vs pound to euro and vice versa.

The results are quite good

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Not a sarky post this, but I'm genuinely interested to know the technical term(s) for the "betting" or "positioning" which large investment banks might do in advance of the EU referendum in the hope of making pot loads of money.

I know, or think I know, that "hedging" is what they do to avoid losing loads of money, and I suspect the phrases I'm looking for may be, among possibly others, "going short" or "going long", depending on what they consider the most likely outcome.

Any ideas? Anyone round here a trader or savvy in trading lingo?

Or let's put it this way, if you were a Wall Street fat cat will billions to invest but eager to earn billions more, what would you do financially, assuming, say, you considered Remain more likely to win?
                If I had millions to waste ( I mean trade) I'd be selling sterling.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                  dogging?
                  Some of your private fantasies should remain just that. Private.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    If I had millions to waste ( I mean trade) I'd be selling sterling.
                    Wouldn't be buying Euros though. I may look stupid, but I isn't-ish...Oh feckity feck, where's me sodding coat...

Comment

Working...
                    X