• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a Shop in Dorchester... or maybe not

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a Shop in Dorchester... or maybe not

Found a great property for sale in Dorchester earlier. Phoned the agents they told me it had fallen through twice for some problem or other, was still for sale. I picked up on the 'under court order' on the advert and she said 'oh i think the guy was sent to jail'. SO I looked and found this.

Do you think I should buy?

EX-TAKEAWAY owner Farzin Hakimi is today beginning a four-year prison sentence after beating up a Dorchester businessman and threatening to kill him.
    Hakimi, 50, of Mountain Ash Road, Dorchester, was told he will serve at least 32 months in prison for the attack and for making threats against Richard Thorogood in an 'obsessive' dispute over property ownership.
    Judge John Harrow, sitting at Dorchester Crown Court, said the sentences - three years for making threats to kill and one year for assault occasioning actual bodily harm to run consecutively - reflected the seriousness of the offences.
    He said: "Threats to kill are regarded very seriously indeed.
    "Richard Thorogood had agreed to buy 10, High East Street, but completion was delayed because of civil proceedings.
    "You nursed a long-standing grievance against him.
    "In the meantime, Tom Parsley had established a restaurant in the premises as Mr Thorogood's tenant.
    "While he was trying to establish that, his plate glass windows were smashed on several occasions.
    "You arranged to meet with Mr Parsley. You told him you wanted return or compensation for your equipment.
    "When Mr Parsley said he would pass your comments on to Mr Thorogood you said you would put a bullet in Mr Thorogood's head.
    "Your general behaviour affected Mr Parsley so much that this was one of the reasons he closed his business - because he feared for the safety of his staff and customers.
    "You were determined to win your argument with Mr Thorogood.
    "It was not a threat made in the heat of the moment. It was a calculating threat made in the context of a history of trouble.
    "You can be violent when issues arise about this property."
    Judge Harrow said when Hakimi saw Mr Thorogood the Royal Oak pub three weeks later he hit or headbutted his rival, then kicked him as he lay on the floor.
    He added: "Your convictions show that since 1998 you have resorted to force or violence on five occasions.
    "You are obsessed with your claim on the property in High East Street."
    The court heard Mr Thorogood had undergone £1,100-worth of dental treatment since the attack and was still having problems with his teeth.
    In mitigation, Nylah Abassi said Hakimi was an entrepreneur who had come to the UK from Iran in 1979 after the country's revolution.
    She said while Hakimi accepted he was at fault in the attack, it was not as one-sided as it appeared.
    She said: "There is probably some blame on both sides in terms of the nature of the relationship between both parties which has been very antagonistic.
    "Hakimi is someone who hasn't quite established what would be the best way to deal with situations of conflict."
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Buy it cheap - you have 32 months while he is out of the equation. Then flog it before he gets out
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Buy it. If he starts to be an arse again I'm always looking for odd job work.

And in other news not connected to this thread at all I'm a 6'5" gym going fella with a firearms certificate although I must add I charge VAT

Comment

"Buy it cheap - you have 32 months while he is out of the equation. Then flog it before he gets out"

You know. I have really been entertaining this idea.

I reckon anyone who does buy it, is going to be in the sh1t when he gets out!!!
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

fecking iranians...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Print this out and bring to negotiation table with the agent who tries to sell it - assert politely but firmly that you will print as many of those as needed to ensure they are in the same place which advertises this shop. Then offer very small a mount of money - so you will get it cheap.

The guy will probably hit you when he is out, but insure your life in around 30 months from purchase, so you get nice payout and the guy will go back to the big house for at least as long: make sure you visit him in jail with set of recent accounts to show how much money you make from the shop.

Good luck.

HTH

Comment

Working...
            X