• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House insurance question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House insurance question

House insurance question
    So I’m buying a house
    Need insurance to start on exchange date which I don’t know yet
    And need the mortgage company “named as an interested party” on the policy, according to mortgage offer letter
    Ideally I want the certificate of insurance sent to me as a pdf so that I can immediately email it to the solicitor and not add a delay for it arriving in the post
    So which insurance companies do certificate as pdf?
    How easy is it to get mortgage company added as interested party (as none of the online quote engines mention this)
    Can I buy insurance before I know the exchange or completion date?
    Main issue is that I would like to get it sorted while I have time as I am likely to get exchange date confirmed over a few days when I will be very busy
    Cheers

Are you talking about buildings insurance? Then it's important you have but not necessary for purchasing. Just make sure you get it in the coming months.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Are you talking about buildings insurance? Then it's important you have but not necessary for purchasing. Just make sure you get it in the coming months.
      No solicitor has been very clear, they are not allowed to claim funds from mortgage company until they have seen evidence insurance is in place, its a condition of the mortgage, and to do otherwise would be fraud

So need it sorted

Comment

Things must have changed since my day. In that case use someone like Directline. They'll provide you the PDF you're looking for the same day. This afternoon even if you're quick about it.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
          No solicitor has been very clear, they are not allowed to claim funds from mortgage company until they have seen evidence insurance is in place, its a condition of the mortgage, and to do otherwise would be fraud

So need it sorted
          Most companies will email the certificate of insurance on the day the policy is taken out. Are you finding this is not the case ?

Comment

Step 1. Get quotes for insurance, give estimate of start date.
            Step 2. Agree exchange date with vendor
            Step 3. Buy the insurance with a start date of the agree exchange date.
            Step 4. Some time after that, exchange.

House insurance is like car insurance - you can buy it well in advance (at least a month). You give the insurers a start date, your insurance becomes effective from that date. You'll get the paperwork through which you can then provide to the solicitors. You do not have to wait until the day of exchange to organise it!
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

yea but I dont know the exchange date yet, precise date depends on a lot of things outside my control, and I want the house asap so dont want to delay things messing around with insurance

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                Most companies will email the certificate of insurance on the day the policy is taken out. Are you finding this is not the case ?
                yea a lot just want to post paper copy

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                  yea but I dont know the exchange date yet, precise date depends on a lot of things outside my control, and I want the house asap so dont want to delay things messing around with insurance
                  Then no one can help you then.

When you buy a property both you and the vendor have an ideal exchange date. In reality this may be later.

So get in touch with the vendor, not the estate agent, and say what date do you "roughly think" we will exchange on? If they ask why explain about the insurance.

Estate agents are liars. They have a habit of telling both sides that if they don't move now the other will pull out. This is why you should be able randomly to talk to the vendor and vice versa without pressurising them. Also be aware that you may start getting letters at their house which can p*ss them off if you haven't and can't talk to them as you don't own the property.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

FFS.

Lots of people in this thread talking bollocks. Anyone would think that no-one ever manages to buy houses because surely they'd face the same issue.

Have you asked your accountant solicitor?
                    He'll tell you exactly what is required.

Before your mortgage company will release funds they will need to see that insurance is in place. Get your quotes, decide who you want to go with. Once you know the proposed exchange date set that as the start date. Job done.

Comment

Working...
                    X