• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Education on CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Education on CV

Does anyone have any thoughts on strategies in CV writing when you have little more than a passable high school level of education but plenty of experience to show you're far from a complete half wit? Obviously there is spending time to fine tune one's skills and work experience to make them as prominent as possible and perhaps leaving education until the end of the document even, but beyond that, I can't see what else you can do.

Leaving it out seems to suggest you have something to hide.

I think that if someone takes a dim view of an applicant because of their lack of academic success, regardless of their life and work experience, there's probably little you can do.

Originally posted by BatteryTester View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts on strategies in CV writing when you have little more than a passable high school level of education but plenty of experience to show you're far from a complete half wit? Obviously there is spending time to fine tune one's skills and work experience to make them as prominent as possible and perhaps leaving education until the end of the document even, but beyond that, I can't see what else you can do.

Leaving it out seems to suggest you have something to hide.

I think that if someone takes a dim view of an applicant because of their lack of academic success, regardless of their life and work experience, there's probably little you can do.
    After a certain point I would suggest experience counts for far more. Stick it on the CV, but on the second page (or where ever). If you've got a long client list with decent experience I'm pretty sure educational experience won't come into it. One of the beauties of IT.

Comment

Are there any professional courses or certifications that you have taken and could also include as education ?

Comment

I do see a number of gigs on jobserve asking for degree as minimum though. It would be interesting to see how pragmatic some clients would be. Wouldn't bother me if someone didn't have a degree though. I did an OU degree just to get to that level. I wouldn't be any better/worse without it.

I don't put anything else about education on my CV bar the degree which is the last line on the last page. I'll be willing to bet most clients would notice it if you didn't put anything on but if they did back to the question of how pragmatic they would be.

I guess the sifting by agents is your real problem though.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

i leave the education section blank

because there is none

Comment

Don't forget to list your swimming certificates, and any badges you got in the cubs and scouts.

Comment

How old are you?? 20?

I haven't put my 'O' Levels on my CV since I was that age...
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thanks for the feedback all. I think that's certainly the advantage of the UK - I've never come across any focus on qualifications myself but I know it's far more common to in the US.

@The_Equalizer - Client lists is something I did consider as I've got quite a good list in that respect, but views on whether or not to put in the CV seems to divide opinion? Might be wise in my case based on my academic shortcomings.

@kaiser78 - Lots of courses (an area I no longer work in), no certifications so nothing much to write home about.

@unemployed - Solidarity!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  How old are you?? 20?

I haven't put my 'O' Levels on my CV since I was that age...
                  I'll never tell! No one ever asks you about your qualifications?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I do see a number of gigs on jobserve asking for degree as minimum though. It would be interesting to see how pragmatic some clients would be. Wouldn't bother me if someone didn't have a degree though. I did an OU degree just to get to that level. I wouldn't be any better/worse without it.
                    A couple of clients I have always went out of their way to interview people with OU degrees and always made them an offer, even though the candidate didn't always accept it. So that line on your CV is stronger than you think.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I don't put anything else about education on my CV bar the degree which is the last line on the last page. I'll be willing to bet most clients would notice it if you didn't put anything on but if they did back to the question of how pragmatic they would be.

I guess the sifting by agents is your real problem though.
                    I have contracted at organisations who say they won't take anyone on, either contract or permanent, without a degree due to a lot of their staff having doctorates . However I've found at least one person at those clients who had at least one very intellectual outside interest and no degree - I guess amateur historians and astronomers are more in demand than they know. I know they by-passed the agent by being introduced but I have no idea how they got passed HR.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X