• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why business leaders are split on stay/remain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those who don't rely on cheap immigrants for labour want to leave. Else they want to stay.

HTH

I guess you like eating?

Those doing hard farm labour are immigrants.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Those who don't rely on cheap immigrants for labour want to leave. Else they want to stay.

HTH
      One of the big problems I have with this is that I think businesses will lobby equally hard to have cheap labour brought in from elsewhere even if we do leave. Just look at the comments made by Sir James Dyson about not being able to bring in engineers from outside the EU. I'm sure that there are plenty of STEM graduates in the UK who would love the opportunity to work at Dyson but probably won't even get a look in. What about employing or encouraging home grown talent rather than keep importing?

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      I guess you like eating?

Like many others I suspect, I thought it would be a slam dunk that farmers would be for remaining in the EU due to subsidies and cheap unskilled labour...

I was told this week that it might not be so clear cut for the farming community.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

HTH
        Dyson wants to leave, but he uses cheap foreign workers to do all his manufacturing (probably the EUs fault for him having to pay British workers a reasonable wage)
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Dyson wants to leave, but he uses cheap foreign workers to do all his manufacturing (probably the EUs fault for him having to pay British workers a reasonable wage)
          And that's probably my biggest concern surrounding the who leave side of the argument. Reading between the lines of comments from the likes of Dyson and even the leave campaign I'm also getting an uneasy feeling that we'll just replace one set of immigration with another and not necessarily on a points based system as is being espoused, it will be more down to lobbying by wealthy companies and individuals.

In short, remain or leave, I cannot see there being a huge amount of difference regarding immigration post referendum.

Comment

David Cameron accused of tainting the Queen's honours by giving pro-EU gongs | Daily Mail Online

There's your answer, a free gong.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              I guess you like eating?

What are the unemployed chavs doing all day?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Exactly one has only to watch any of the numerous benefit p0rn programs churned out to see the useless twunts in their thousands thinking we all owe them a living

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Watching Jeremy Kyle?
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    Watching Jeremy Kyle?
                    Oh, I thought they were posting on CUK these days.

Comment

Working...
                    X