• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Back on the Bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back on the Bench

Its been just under a month since I started my new contract in the City and all was going well when I got called into a meeting room with another contractor for a chat with the manager.
    We were both expecting it to be just another catch up meeting, when they dropped the bomb on us. "Sorry but we've got to let you go as were over our mid season budget"
    This is the second time i've had a contract collapse due to budget reasons this year!
    I don't know how to explain this in future interviews as I looks like i'm jinxed. "So tell me why did you leave you last job?"

You tell them you left your last job to gocontracting.

This question isn't relevant to contractors and I've never been asked it. You need to start thinking like a contractor.

If you really want to know what to say 'because my work there was completed' but read the previous paragraph again.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Lots of it going on in the city. I think prospective employers will understand that.....

Comment

Would not worry about it at all for future job prospects as most hiring managers are understanding that it takes longer to find new contracts so CV gaps are quite common now.

This sort of thing happens all the time in financial services never happened to me onsite but offsite had a few contracts cancelled before I ever went onsite due to them finding internal resource to do the role after the contracts were agreed but not fully signed by all parties!

Comment

I think next time I look at my bank account and think "hmm I'm pretty minted here I dont need any more" Im going to stroll into client office and say "due to my budget" Im not coming in any more and I'm off on holidays sorry!
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            I think next time I look at my bank account and think "hmm I'm pretty minted here I dont need any more" Im going to stroll into client office and say "due to my budget" Im not coming in any more and I'm off on holidays sorry!
            A Welshman not wanting more money? Now I've heard it all.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              A Welshman not wanting more money? Now I've heard it all.
              It's £75 PW, you know it all adds up......

Oops, sorry, wrong thread
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

No Im deffo not minted at the moment. No small thanks to the wife and kids.

Can deffo say if my first born had been a girl I'd probably have turned down the idea of child no 2.

How can a three year old spend so much???
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

In the real world anyone sensible knows that contracts get canned when projects get cancelled/budgets chopped etc. Unfortunately there are enough dumbarses among agents and clients who will look at a short contract and assume the contractor has been fired, and this makes it just another hurdle to get over.

If it were me (and I appreciate it isn't) I would consider leaving this one off the cv to avoid such prejudices, since it is less than one month. Did it once myself.

Comment

To add some hope just managed to get interviews booked for an IB despite having a few lengthy on the bench gaps on my CV! So if your a strong candidate its quite possible do not give up all hope!

Comment

Working...
                    X