• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

General rant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General rant

Gatwick south I hate you. They closed a runway this afternoon.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    They only have one runway at Gatwick with 2 terminals serving it.

Hence the fight to get a second runway at Gatwick in preference to a third at Heathrow.

(Heathrow has 5 terminals and 2 runways.)
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Last time I was there, they closed the road and rail station.

Got to head that way again in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Father in-law been stranded and the buggers at the easyjet desk left folks stranded as it was clocking off time. Imagine spending all day just getting to the airport in the first place? To compounded matters there's next to no accommodation in a 5 mile radius due to the cancelled flights.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

General rant

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          They only have one runway at Gatwick with 2 terminals serving it.

Hence the fight to get a second runway at Gatwick in preference to a third at Heathrow.

(Heathrow has 5 terminals and 2 runways.)
          Gatwick has two runways, but the main runway is used most of the time, and the other is a standby runway (which can only be used when the main runway is closed. Pretty sure it's visual approaches only as well).

Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 13 June 2016, 07:30.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Heathrow had 6 runways, but only uses 2.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

That is a reasonably specific rant.

Comment

You'd think. Still can't believe they not sorted out the cattle pen holding area at the south terminal. Such a poor layout. Everybody crammed into one area waiting for the gate.

The terminal at Edinburgh was extended recently. On my last trip it was still crammed. Don't understand, was expecting more space. And having to walk through those not-duty free s-shapped pathways to get from security to terminal drives me loopy.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                  Gatwick has two runways, but the main runway is used most of the time, and the other is a standby runway (which can only be used when the main runway is closed. Pretty sure it's visual approaches only as well).

It's called "safety" hence the extra ones don't count. All airports have them.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    It's called "safety" hence the extra ones don't count. All airports have them.
                    Where is Munich safety runway? Both here are in use, one for each terminal.

Comment

Working...
                    X