• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dual (day/night) electricity meters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual (day/night) electricity meters

Anyone using that plan pricing of cheaper night time electricity? Does it require a special meter or normal one (with just one reading of how many kWh used)???

Last place I rented with economy seven had one meter with two dials, one recording normal usage and one recording cheap rate usage. It's crap, I recall loads of different tariffs depending upon how electricity used in the different bands. If you are running a small aluminium smelting plant in the middle of night, your probably onto a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      Anyone using that plan pricing of cheaper night time electricity? Does it require a special meter or normal one (with just one reading of how many kWh used)???
      Its probably only sensible with night storage heaters. My parents were on a dual supply and saved quite a bit. They put time switches on the washing machine etc so it came on automatically during the cheap time.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
        They put time switches on the washing machine etc so it came on automatically during the cheap time.
        My mum and dad used to do that years ago. Until one night something went wrong and there was a flood. In their case the damage to the house and contents was minimal. However, when they talked about it to friends they found out that their neighbours had the same idea and the same thing happened. But they lived in a flat and the neighbours were upstairs by two floors. It happened on a Saturday night and was only discovered on Sunday morning. There was something like £30,000 of damage done to two flats below.

Moral of the story – NEVER leave a washing machine running unattended.
        Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          Hi Ive got it, my electricty meter has one reading called 'Normal' and one for 'Low', I have to give both meter readings, low is for the cheaper night time elec, normal is for day time. My bill is also split out this way.

I also have a clock thing next it that shows when its normal and low, looks very lates 70's early 80's.

Just had my electricty bill in, Ive been really careful with what I use but was truely shocked at how much it had gone up by.

I make sure I use the washing machine, dish washer late at night, neighbours didnt appreciate me mowing the lawn at 1am though

Comment

Looks like one has to have special 2-tier meter then, oh well.

Comment

You cheap skate AtW. Most contractors light their stoves using £50 notes!! and thats the electrical ones!!!!!!!
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I am not a mere contractor - I am a licenser.

HTH

Comment

we had a dual meter when we moved into the current place and had to get them to remove it and put in a single dial meter to go on a normal electricity tariff.

If you have a load of servers in your residence you don't want economy 7 anyway AtW they rip you off silly with the daytime rate.

TBH i dunno why the previous lot had it at our house, it has gas central heating not storage heaters so they couldn't have sved any moeny anyway, probably too stupid to phone up the electricity co and get the mter changed i guess.

Comment

Working...
                  X