• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cost of renting one-bed property soars in UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of renting one-bed property soars in UK

2016-06-13 Cost of renting one-bed property soars in UK

The cost of renting a one-bedroom property in the UK has risen to swallow almost half of the average young worker’s take-home pay, according to figures, while those living in London are typically handing over 57% of their monthly wages.

The average cost of a new tenancy on a one-bedroom home hit £746 a month in May, taking up 48% of the take-home pay of a worker aged under 30, data from property firm Countrywide showed.

In London, the average rent on a one-bed property was £1,133 in May, Countrywide said. Rising rents had outstripped growth in earnings to such an extent in the capital that since 2007 the proportion of take-home pay used to meet the cost had increased from 41% to 57%. ...
    For this reason alone, given the ceaseless torrent of immigration we will obviously have if we remain in the EU, anyone under the age of 30 and/or priced out of the property market must be completely deluded to even contemplate voting Remain.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

The ex-Mayor Boris Johnson largely decreased the number of planning approvals he gave.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Rents will go up due to Gidiots' tax relief withdrawal on mortgage interest.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        2016-06-13 Cost of renting one-bed property soars in UK

For this reason alone, given the ceaseless torrent of immigration we will obviously have if we remain in the EU, anyone under the age of 30 and/or priced out of the property market must be completely deluded to even contemplate voting Remain.
        Shssh now nothing to do with immigration.

EU referendum live: Gordon Brown says 'real problem' not EU immigration but illegal immigration | Politics | The Guardian
        Gordon Brown says 'real problem' not EU immigration but illegal immigration
        Gordon Brown told me so.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Rents will go up due to Gidiots' tax relief withdrawal on mortgage interest.
          indeed, also there is even less reason to register as a landlord now.

Friend renting a flat has taken his issues with a landlord to the council and what do they say? Oh we know that landlord very well, pity they don't force him to have valid Gas & Electric certificates or fix any of the issues in his properties....
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
            Nice to know we have problems and "real" problems.

The "real" problem was some complete chunt changing our gold for Euros. Can't think who that was - can somebody remind me? Oh, wait, doesn't matter. I remember. It was Gordon Brown.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              indeed, also there is even less reason to register as a landlord now.

Friend renting a flat has taken his issues with a landlord to the council and what do they say? Oh we know that landlord very well, pity they don't force him to have valid Gas & Electric certificates or fix any of the issues in his properties....
              Unfortunately councils aren't allowed to go to the courts and get someone banned from being a landlord.

They can only get them fined so it's a waste of money especially as the fines aren't that big. If the fines were big enough so properties could be seized these issues would happen less frequently.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                The "real" problem was some complete chunt changing our gold for Euros. Can't think who that was - can somebody remind me? Oh, wait, doesn't matter. I remember. It was Gordon Brown.
                So he sold gold cheap, big deal - in a grand schemes of things the amount was very low anyway, it's NOT the worst thing that he did - allowing house bubble to inflate was his main flaw, but all PMs (apart from me obviously) would have done the same in his position.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  So he sold gold cheap, big deal - in a grand schemes of things the amount was very low anyway, it's NOT the worst thing that he did - allowing house bubble to inflate was his main flaw, but all PMs (apart from me obviously) would have done the same in his position.
                  He was Chancellor at the time, but don't let that get in the way of your message
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

London is not the UK. Plenty of 1-bed place to rent well below the 57%.

Ma rented detached house here in Bavaria set me back 14% of my income last year.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X