• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kayleigh Haywood: Cries of 'mummy' heard on night of murder

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desperately sad. Whoever wherever you are, if you here a unnatural cry for help - ACT.

Fathoming this kind of evil is beyond me.

Kayleigh Haywood: Cries of 'mummy' heard on night of murder - BBC News

Kayleigh Haywood's disappearance sparked a huge search which lasted five days
    Witnesses have told a court they heard a "frightened girl screaming mummy" on the night a 15-year-old schoolgirl was raped and murdered.

Kayleigh Haywood, from Leicestershire, was found dead in undergrowth near Ibstock in November.

Stephen Beadman, 29, of Ibstock, has admitted raping and murdering Kayleigh but denies false imprisonment.

Luke Harlow, 27, of Ibstock, has admitted two counts of sexual grooming but also denies false imprisonment.

Updates on this story and more from Leicestershire

Neighbours Beadman and Harlow, both of George Avenue, are alleged to have held Kayleigh against her will at Harlow's home between about 21:00 BST on Saturday, November 14 and 03:00 on Sunday, November 15.

'Sounded frightened'

Witnesses Samuel Green and Amy Dearden, who live together near Ibstock's Sence Valley Forest Park, told the court they heard a loud scream in the early hours of November 15.

Mr Green said he had gone to bed just before midnight.

"I was lying there. I can't be 100% sure how long I lay there and then all of a sudden I heard a loud scream, someone screaming 'mummy'," Mr Green said.

"It sounded like a female to me, and if I'm honest, whoever it was sounded frightened."

Ms Dearden said the scream of "mummy" sounded so close, she thought someone was in her garden.

"It sounded like a young child. Sam opened the window and shouted but nobody replied," she said.

The court also heard a man with a bloodied face was seen near to where Kayleigh's body was found.

In a police interview played to Nottingham Crown Court, Harlow claimed Kayleigh had drunk a bottle of wine after being dropped off by her dad at Ibstock leisure centre the previous Friday because she was "nervous" about meeting him.

Stephen Beadman (video link) and Luke Harlow
    Stephen Beadman (pictured via video link) and Luke Harlow are on trial for false imprisonment
    Harlow said Kayleigh had drunk "a considerable amount of vodka" in his flat while he and Beadman had gone to the shops to get more alcohol.

On Sunday morning, Harlow said he woke up feeling "quite groggy" and did not know where Kayleigh was, although her shoes were still in his flat.

He then went to see Beadman.

"He [Beadman] had scratches all over his face which he didn't have on Friday night," Harlow said.

"He said he had got them at work, he is a landscape gardener. I didn't think anything of it at the time.

"I asked Stephen Beadman if he had seen her leave he said no."

'Dark thoughts'

Agreed statements read to the jury by the prosecution confirmed that blood attributable to both Kayleigh and Beadman was found on the thigh of his jeans.

A post-mortem examination conducted on Kayleigh's body identified extensive blunt force injuries to her neck and head, as well as underlying fracturing of facial bones.

The jury heard the pathologist was unable to determine how many "impacts" had been inflicted on Kayleigh but her injuries could not be have been caused by a single blow.

Medical evidence relating to injuries found on Beadman was also put before the court.

Jurors heard that Beadman informed a medic shortly after his arrest that he had not been able to form relationships with women and had been having "dark thoughts" for about two years.

The trial continues.

Flowers for Kayleigh HaywoodPA
    The communities of Ibstock and Measham showed their support for Kayleigh's family with purple ribbons - her favourite colour
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

"Stephen Beadman, 29, of Ibstock, has admitted raping and murdering Kayleigh but denies false imprisonment."

Am I the only one who thinks, why the f@@k did he bother denying the latter charge, when both of the first two should (but sadly probably won't) guarantee he never sees a blue sky again?
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

"Whoever wherever you are, if you here a unnatural cry for help - ACT."

Sadly it doesn't work like that. It should read "if you hear any cry for help, evaluate whether you might be killed if you intervene, and if you aren't killed, but somehow hurt - or worse - the nasty rapist / murderer / burglar, will the CPS come after you instead because it's an easier prosecution?"
      Feck all that, I'd walk away, admittedly with a guilty conscience, but I'd take that over 12 months in remand, and coming home to a repossessed home. It's sad, but if the state is going to tulip on you, why take the risk?
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Risk is to be measured. Sometimes I just skip the whole measurement part and go straight to super flying TNT
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I've heard unnatural cries and they have been foxes.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            I've heard unnatural cries and they have been foxes.
            You stupid halfwit.

I agree, if you here a screaming voice, the first approach is to look, the second if continues to walk outside & take a good look, finally if not convinced phone the old Bill.

Occurred to me on 4 occasions I can think of. Obviously the old pissed couple etc, does occur and twice an argument kicking off at 2/3am outside of where I lived has occurred. In those cases I looked out and told them to can it, one was Ok, one was a **** off. Another I called the police and the one that happened in London when I was younger was a girl who had been attacked. I lived in the City and heard bloody curdling screams late at night.

In this case, I went outside (tulip scared) from my flat and looked, found nothing. I phoned police afterwards & they arrived maybe 10/15 minutes. Unfortunately, someone had been raped and beaten up badly. Even though I went looking I didn't stop it or find her, but I did report it, and she was found afterwards.

Never ever discount anything. I still feel bad I didn't stop it as it was just outside my flat.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Desperately sad. Whoever wherever you are, if you here a unnatural cry for help - ACT.
              All you can really do (assuming you can't see anything going on) is call the police.

"Er, I heard a child shout mummy". They're hardly going to send the blues and twos.

Sadly it would have been unlikely to save the girl.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                You stupid halfwit.
                Why?

Because I actually checked they were foxes and not someone screaming because they were being attacked?
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If I heard something unusual I would always help. There was once I was witness to an accident. I was the only witness to come forward - though about 20+ must have been witnesses.

However many in society now feel that the law protects the perpetrator. Its deeply sad. And I am not sure how that can be easily changed.

To repeat, I would always get involved. And I bet most on CUK would. But there are many in society who feel differently.

Comment

My back garden backs on to a park. There are always screams coming from the park at night, as kids and teenagers mess about. If I called the police for every one, I'd get done for wasting their time.

Add in the foxes, as mentioned above, which can make a horrific noise, and I reckon there must be a scream every other day or so, sometimes more.

It's not a black and white issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X