• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do any of you folk sell software? How do you protect/insure yourself?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do any of you folk sell software? How do you protect/insure yourself?

Evening all. My little Plan B has been gaining a little bit of pace recently - it's a little, super niche, piece of software that sometimes companies in my field want/need. Initially it was little SME's buying it, but I've started to sell to some bigger looking companies and as the quotes get that little bit larger I've started to consider my liability a little more. To be clear - these are cold sales, not people I've contracted for/with.

Now, because of the nature of the software, my exposure is fairly limited in terms of business continuity, data integrity etc etc - it might break a single computer somewhere, or it might just stop working altogether I guess. But it's nicety/aesthetic/user experience software - nothing that would impact actual productivity.

I spoke to my Professional Indemnity insurers and was rather surprised to hear that they simply don't consider it a risk - as in, they don't feel it comes under the guise of professional indemnity.

Soooo - where does this leave me? Given the relatively low numbers (It's a nice bonus, but it's not making me rich and I won't be retiring off it sadly) I can obviously take some solace in being Ltd but that doesn't seem the most sensible answer.

Any thoughts or experiences?

You don't want PII for this, you want Product Liability Insurance. The insurer will assess the risk and ask you how much cover you want.

Comment

Working...
    X