• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountants

Is it my misunderstanding or have the accountants JSA really gone downhill the last year or two?

Calculations have been late or incorrect and I often have had to point them in the right direction.

Above all, they seem to be charging an awful lot (£200+) a month, when the average tends to be around £100-150.

Wow, £200 a month and offering nothing out of the ordinary (I looked at their website). You need to shop around ASAP and save a lot of money.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I think they went down hill after they went into some form of administration a few years ago. There are better and cheaper alternatives about.
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

I'd be careful with comparing pricing without some careful investigation. That's for their most expensive service. Their basic one appears to be in the ballpark you mentioned but they do seem to roll some stuff up that others charge for separately. The Self Assessment and hosting addresses are part of that £200 as is some kind of sickness cover.

Also it's £200+ VAT. Certain regulars get a bit tetchy when you don't quote the VAT with your figures I believe

You'd think business would be booming with all the recommendations PC's been making for them.... or do most people know the difference between 'On' and 'With'.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Wow, £200 a month and offering nothing out of the ordinary (I looked at their website). You need to shop around ASAP and save a lot of money.
          Any recommendations?

What is SJA like?

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
            I think they went down hill after they went into some form of administration a few years ago. There are better and cheaper alternatives about.
            They must have done something as it appears they have made 5 acquisitions since then. Dunno what they bought though except the last one.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I'd be careful with comparing pricing without some careful investigation. That's for their most expensive service. Their basic one appears to be in the ballpark you mentioned but they do seem to roll some stuff up that others charge for separately. The Self Assessment and hosting addresses are part of that £200 as is some kind of sickness cover.

Also it's £200+ VAT. Certain regulars get a bit tetchy when you don't quote the VAT with your figures I believe

You'd think business would be booming with all the recommendations PC's been making for them.... or do most people know the difference between 'On' and 'With'.
              PC's?

Comment

Originally posted by smileyface View Post
                Any recommendations?

What is SJA like?
                Who??

If you mean SJD then you've picked the other rather expensive one around and they appear to be losing customers at pace. They were good to me for 7 years but had a problem with an accountant and lost trust. I did like their spreadsheet at the time but now I've used Freeagent it doesn't look quite as clever anymore.

A Freeagent accountant is the way forward for me (or anyone with a well written portal I guess). I moved from SJD to Gorilla Accounting who'd I recommend. Number of us on here have moved with them and no problems so far.

Other people will be along with recommendations I am sure and there are some great guys from accountancies that post some solid advice on here that are always worth a look.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 14 June 2016, 10:47.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Who??

If you mean SJD then you've picked the other rather expensive one around and they appear to be losing customers at pace. They were good to me for 7 years but had a problem with an accountant and lost trust. I did like their spreadsheet at the time but now I've used Freeagent it doesn't look quite as clever anymore.

Freeagent account is the way forward for me (or anyone with a well written portal I guess). I moved from SJD to Gorilla Accounting who'd I recommend. Number of us on here have moved with them and no problems so far.

Other people will be along with recommendations I am sure and there are some great guys from accountancies that post some solid advice on here that are always worth a look.
                  Yes, I meant SJD.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Having spoken to one (not mentioning them but they were even more expensive!) it seems with the ever increase in tax on dividends, contracting will become less and less appealing.

£100K PAYE nets you around £68K.

Contracting seems to get you £73K, hardly worth the extra £5K, given you have less security.

Comment

Originally posted by smileyface View Post
                    Yes, I meant SJD.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Having spoken to one (not mentioning them but they were even more expensive!) it seems with the ever increase in tax on dividends, contracting will become less and less appealing.

£100K PAYE nets you around £68K.

Contracting seems to get you £73K, hardly worth the extra £5K, given you have less security.
                    Not to mention the Public Sector potentially being no longer available to us etc etc but that's all for another thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X