• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT contractors advised to look to NHS for career development and longevity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear, oh dear! This article talks about why contractors would want to contract in the NHS and cites things like career progression and a long term opportunity and that some contractors are interested in it despite only getting 70-80% of what they could in the private sector.

Call me mad but I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole as it sounds like a recipe for IR35 disaster
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 22 June 2016, 11:21.

Originally posted by SouthernManc78 View Post

Oh dear, oh dear! This article talks about why contractors would want to contract in the NHS and cites things like career progression and a long term opportunity and that some contractors are interested in it despite only getting 70-80% of what they could in the private sector.

Call me mad but I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole as it sounds like a recipe for IR35 disaster
    There seems to be a very odd situation in the NHS. Most of the jobs are falling foul of the crappy rates that sprung from the last attack on contracting for governments. But I got a call the other week for a work from home role that was paying nearly 1000 a day. My risk profile is way to low to be near anything like that at the moment.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 22 June 2016, 11:21.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
      There seems to be a very odd situation in the NHS. Most of the jobs are falling foul of the crappy rates that sprung from the last attack on contracting for governments. But I got a call the other week for a work from home role that was paying nearly 1000 a day. My risk profile is way to low to be near anything like that at the moment.
      Ditto, wouldn't touch any public sector contract with a barge pole in the current climate, the government made their bed and they can lie in it, wanting to demonise us and trying to kill the industry does not elicit any sympathy from me!

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
        Ditto, wouldn't touch any public sector contract with a barge pole in the current climate, the government made their bed and they can lie in it, wanting to demonise us and trying to kill the industry does not elicit any sympathy from me!
        Someone contacted me about a role the other day. All was going well until he mentioned CL1 and I said not a problem but please note that I wont quote a final rate on the role until I have written clarification and indemnification of the role being in or out of IR35. At which point my rate will either stay as quoted or triple due to the increased costs to my business. Poor kid was almost crying. I suggest that anyone contacted use the same line. It won't take long for them to realise what this will cost them.

Comment

Why do so many people on here see "inside IR35" and immediately think disaster? If there are good contracts to be had out there and the tax isn't an issue then go for it. You're still in work for 12 months and you're getting the training/career development that is normally only afforded to permies. Then you can go straight back to private sector with your new skills and command more.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

NHS rates truly are crap in my opinion. One gig I had (because I was skint) was. Mgr was cracking guy and he told me his boss set the rate by taking a perm salary, adding 5K and then dividing it to get the day rate. So it was well crap.

His reasoning, people should want to show a bit of community spirit and work for the nhs and not just think about the money, yeah right.

Reminds me of the agent once who tried to get me to do a role which was half market rate. When I politely declined he said his client wouldnt be interested in someone like me who only cared about the rate. Yes **** off then. Its not like I was quibbling about £10 a day....
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              NHS rates truly are crap in my opinion. One gig I had (because I was skint) was. Mgr was cracking guy and he told me his boss set the rate by taking a perm salary, adding 5K and then dividing it to get the day rate. So it was well crap.

His reasoning, people should want to show a bit of community spirit and work for the nhs and not just think about the money, yeah right.

Reminds me of the agent once who tried to get me to do a role which was half market rate. When I politely declined he said his client wouldnt be interested in someone like me who only cared about the rate. Yes **** off then. Its not like I was quibbling about £10 a day....
              A pimp playing the money grabbing b@stard card, oh the irony

Comment

The old ones are the best Bro.
                Classic stuff
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

When I politely declined he said his client wouldnt be interested in someone like me who only cared about the rate. Yes **** off then. Its not like I was quibbling about £10 a day....
                  Tell him that you'll have two days off per week, but charge for them as if you are working. Then tell them you wouldn't be interested in someone like them who only cared about the hours you work.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    The old ones are the best Bro.
                    Classic stuff
                    MM you're either NLUKs sockie, his brother, or his lover. Can't work out which.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X