• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Progressive developer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressive developer?

Hi,

Once I noticed this event: "Progressive .NET Tutorials" https://skillsmatter.com/conferences...tutorials-2016

Today I saw a job ad saying "this organisation is looking for a progressive Back-End Developer" Back End Developer ( C#, ASP.NET, MVC ) - City of London - June-18-2016 (EnJA7)

I'm wondering about this word "progressive"... what does it mean in the context of software development?

Thanks

It's about making web applications that can be installed on a phone's home screen and will then act as if they're a native app rather than a website with too much JavaScript.

Not to be confused with "progressive enhancement" which is about building your web application in such a way that it's still a perfectly usable website when the excess of JavaScript with which it has been burdened fails to load because the user has just entered the Northern Line tunnel southbound at Golders Green.

EDIT: as a concept, it's the usual over-engineered tripe from Google (see Angular.js) so you can find out more about it at https://developers.google.com/web/progressive-web-apps/ - various other companies such as MS are busily guzzling down the Kool Aid, so we can expect to have to put up with a lot more of this garbage before the next shiny thing means its finally consigned to the dustbin of technology history where it belongs.
    Last edited by NickFitz; 18 June 2016, 12:33.

Comment

Understood thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        It's about making web applications that can be installed on a phone's home screen and will then act as if they're a native app rather than a website with too much JavaScript.
        Ah so like PhoneGap did in 2009?

I'm still struggling with "responsive web design" being nothing to do with how responsive it is. Or that AngularJS has nothing to do with angles.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by sog View Post
          I'm wondering about this word "progressive"... what does it mean in the context of software development?
          You just progress from team members to Project Manager to Program Manager to Directors.

Are you a lass with a good technique?

Comment

Working...
          X