• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Died reading this story

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Died reading this story

I just wanted to scream: rookie on finding the biggest diamond in a century, set to sell for £50 million

When Tiroyaone Mathaba realised that the tennis ball of a stone in his hand was actually a diamond, his immediate reaction was a natural one.
    Mr Mathaba’s discovery would be christened “Lesedi La Rona”, meaning “our light”, and dispatched to Sotheby’s, where it is to be auctioned on June 29 with a guide price of £50 million.
    It was discovered at Karowe mine in Botswana where Mr Mathaba was on probation as a 27-year-old trainee, having worked as a sorter for fewer than five months.
    Mr Tshupo passed the diamond up the chain to the senior process engineer and then the geology department of Lucara, the Canadian company which runs the mine.

The verdict was that Mr Mathaba’s discovery was the second biggest diamond ever found, smaller only than the 3,106 carat Cullinan unearthed in South Africa in 1905.

Excitement rippled around the mine, but Mr Mathaba and his colleagues were careful not to spread the word before the find was officially declared.

Since it was confirmed, the mood at the mine has changed. “Everyone looks forward to coming to work, it’s been a breath of new life,” he said.

Mr Mathaba is the grandson of a chief from a village in the Tswapong hills of central Botswana. In his free time, he still looks after the family cattle herd.
    Meanwhile, Mr Mathaba has been promoted to permanent member of staff. There are no individual bonuses for employees who find big stones, but all 804 people working at Lucara have received a bonus related to the find.

RIP FLC

Comment

Well, that's nice for them.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Died reading this story

Botswana is a beautiful country with very friendly and polite people, I love going there.
        The mines do a great job of supporting their workers and families with a very social structure, which in return makes the mines more profitable.
        Individual greed is not something the workers go in for, instead they like the idea of sharing the wealth. When they lived in their mud hut communities, that was what they did, now they continue with that practice in the mines.

...and that's why a lot on here will hate me and this post.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Botswana is a beautiful country with very friendly and polite people, I love going there.
          The mines do a great job of supporting their workers and families with a very social structure, which in return makes the mines more profitable.
          Individual greed is not something the workers go in for, instead they like the idea of sharing the wealth. When they lived in their mud hut communities, that was what they did, now they continue with that practice in the mines.

You mean they are happy slaves? Good for them

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
            Better attitude than those rude polish hookers

Comment

No. We just hate you because your a twunt.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Not at all. Almost difficult to comprehend the values of our two societies. One acting as a co-operative, from what you're saying, and the other vulture capitalist. Greed is our poison.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post

Slaves don't get paid.
                  These guys receive a wage slightly above average for their country. If you judge them by your own avarice, then it reflects badly on you.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Slaves don't get paid.
                    These guys receive a wage slightly above average for their country. If you judge them by your own avarice, then it reflects badly on you.
                    slaves do get food. These guys get paid to buy food.

Comment

Working...
                    X