• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Most bizarre reason for losing a contract.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most bizarre reason for losing a contract.

In my case it was cultural in the central belt of Scotland its quite common for us to greet a man of stature as "Hi big man" its actually a term of respect. Now I was down in Peterborough and onsite when I got asked a question by a rather tall stout character. To which I replied without thinking I dont know big man. I heard later on it was he that complained to his supervisor and got me canned. Love to hear your story if you have one.

Originally posted by AttentivIS View Post
    In my case it was cultural in the central belt of Scotland its quite common for us to greet a man of stature as "Hi big man" its actually a term of respect. Now I was down in Peterborough and onsite when I got asked a question by a rather tall stout character. To which I replied without thinking I dont know big man. I heard later on it was he that complained to his supervisor and got me canned. Love to hear your story if you have one.
    Maybe he thought you were a "Toilet Trader"
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I'm used to working in the City, on the trading desks.

So, when I was working in the public sector for the first time, and slapped the lady diversity officer on the arse and said "Hey, big momma, you ever want a good ****, just smile", it sort of backfired.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I'm used to working in the City, on the trading desks.

So, when I was working in the public sector for the first time, and slapped the lady diversity officer on the arse and said "Hey, big momma, you ever want a good ****, just smile", it sort of backfired.
        Obviously a lesbian
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          Obviously a lesbian
          I shouted that at her after she stormed off, but it didn't help.

Comment

it's political correctness gone mad!

Comment

Originally posted by AttentivIS View Post
              So in a nutshell you got canned for being unprofessional and a little bit stupid?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Didn't lose the role, but I had to be reminded at one stage that when working in a staunch Catholic area of Glasgow, one should always expand the acronym FTP or you'll upset some people around you.

Comment

An Indian guy invited me to a clear the air meeting. "You shout at me on instant messenger" he complained. "You type OK instead of ok. What have I done to make you so angry?".

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
                    An Indian guy invited me to a clear the air meeting. "You shout at me on instant messenger" he complained. "You type OK instead of ok. What have I done to make you so angry?".
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X