• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Green Taxes? What's the Problem?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green Taxes? What's the Problem?

Poor people will have to sell their cars and catch the bus. Fewer people getting in my way on the roads.

Poor people will have to holiday in Blackpool and Margate and won't be able to afford to fly. Fewer riff raff at airports and holiday destinations overseas.

Poor people won't be able to heat every room in their house. Neither could my parents when I was a nipper as we only had coal fires in our house.

Contractors will be largely unaffected.

Therefore, it seems okay to me.

Poor people will be given it all back via some form of tax credit or vouchers.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

The problem is the "riff raff" will receive extra benefits and tax credits to cover the increases and so they won't be affected. You and I however, will just be shelling out thousands more to sit in the same traffic jams in the same car as all the "riff raff".

HTH

Comment

My plan for living on a narrow boat and travelling between gigs by canal is starting to look a little more plausible
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          in the same car as all the "riff raff".
          "riff raff" drives 2 beemers at the same time too?

threaded

Comment

Only riff raff drive "beamers". I have a matching pair of Bentley Continental Gt's. One for each foot.

threaded
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

And there was me thinking it wasn't just a convenient excuse to hike taxes on the filthy disgusting middle classes again.

Comment

The New Lie always "leak" these tax plans in this way.

1. Leak memo about massive increase in taxation. Absolute draconian tax measure proposed.
                2. Media frenzy ensues.
                3. NL rebuff leak and say only a small measure will be taken.
                4. Stupid public sigh of relief, and accept smaller more reasonable tax increases.
                5. NL then ramp up the tax levels once in place.

Example. Congestion charging will come in at very low level. Everyone will say "it's not so bad, only 5p a mile, not £1.50 like everyone was saying". Over the next few years, it goes 5p, 15p, 35p, 55p, 85p etc.

Idiot voters.

Comment

I dunno but I would have thought the government should be looking at EVERYTHING associated with their beloved tax regime.

In particular its pointless raising taxes (forcing people out of cars) if the public transport system is so useless and expensive that no one wants to use it!

Lets be honest here, this isnt about doing something for the environment...its revenue collection, nothing more, nothing less.

Dont even get me started on that useless woman on the news this morning argueing against todays released report She made the tree huggin lesbo feminist guy look like an absolute expert in the area of green house myth!

Then again...I guess its only fair!

Mailman

Comment

The whole point of raising taxes on something people can't or won't give up is to increase overall tax revenue - of course the Govt would have people to switch to diesel because they would lose a lot of money!

All that "save the earth" talk from Govt is a bunch of crap unless they ring fence those tax revenues to be used only on R&D to develop new much cleaner energy generators. Of course they don't do it because it would result in collapse of the tax revenues.

Comment

Working...
                    X