• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business development

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business development

I am a contractor from abroad. I started contracting in my country but contracting market is not very good over there. Currently I am contracting in UK (I know you will be very happy about that).

In between contracts I and my friends developed quite complex software system.
    The solution is complimentary to ERP systems (integrates with SAP, BaaN, Oracle Apps etc). It operates in Manufacturing/Warehousing/Logistics areas of plants.

There are some solutions like that but they are usually expensive (at least 150K-250K GBP). It can be considered as a niche solution, one of the reasons is customer budget requirement (starting at 25K).

The solution started to sell quite well in France. This brought some nice ‘global’ references. References seem to be quite important in that business.

Question is: having limited financial capabilities for the moment what is the best way to start selling that solution in UK (partners, direct sales, others). Any other ideas or comments are welcome.

Enter the next series of Dragons' Den.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your idea. Unfortunately this is not the kind of business that requires the product to be known by everybody in the country like a new toothpaste or mortgage.

Comment

Who cares, if everybody knows your brand and likes the sound of it they will want to buy into it.

Advertising is the way to get yourself known and the way to push any product.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafal
          Thanks a lot for your idea. Unfortunately this is not the kind of business that requires the product to be known by everybody in the country like a new toothpaste or mortgage.
          But it is free advertising and if everybody in the country has heard of it by definition your small sub-set has too. Plus, if it really is a good idea one of the Dragons may invest.

Advertising is key. Free advertising is a no brainer.

Comment

Exhibit at trade shows, get a write up in trade publications, take out advertising in them.

If you dont have the capital to support going direct with the above then look at creating partnerships with resellers who already provide ERP solutions.

How did you generate sales in France? Can that be applied in the UK?
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Sales in France were generated by partner company. We would prefer to have the same approach here because of less effort neeeded and mentioned limited financial possibilities. However we are investigating other possibilites.

Comment

Then you've answered your own question. If it ain't broke, dont fix it.

Once sales through partners start bringing in revenue then you can use that to fund direct marketing/sales. TBH though, I would guess that the extra costs associated with that would more than offset the increased revenue frmo cutting out the resellers. Even the Oracles and SAP's of this world use resellers so there must be a reason.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafal
                  I am a contractor from abroad. I started contracting in my country but contracting market is not very good over there. Currently I am contracting in UK (I know you will be very happy about that).

In between contracts I and my friends developed quite complex software system.
                  The solution is complimentary to ERP systems (integrates with SAP, BaaN, Oracle Apps etc). It operates in Manufacturing/Warehousing/Logistics areas of plants.

There are some solutions like that but they are usually expensive (at least 150K-250K GBP). It can be considered as a niche solution, one of the reasons is customer budget requirement (starting at 25K).

The solution started to sell quite well in France. This brought some nice ‘global’ references. References seem to be quite important in that business.

Question is: having limited financial capabilities for the moment what is the best way to start selling that solution in UK (partners, direct sales, others). Any other ideas or comments are welcome.
                  Logistics...you just got me all wet!

I'd approach the major players in the UK (there are only a few of them) and offer then a free trial or evaluation of the software. The 3PL will more likley interested as they can charge it to customers.

As for direct advertising you are not really going to win.. I mean if you want to take on Red Prarie, Denver and Manhatten in a head on advertising challenge you can be y guest.

The people I would concentrate on are:

(3PLs)
                  DHL Exel,
                  Kuehne Nagel,
                  NYK Logistics & Megacarrier,
                  TNT,
                  Christian Salvessen

I'll PM you as I am currently designing a new warehouse for Tesco which has some interesting ERP challenges.

Comment

Working...
                  X