• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

General newb advice / Investment Banking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General newb advice / Investment Banking

Hello all,

Just after some advice really on contracting.

My background is perm positions in the city within the market data arena, last position was 5 years with a large Swiss bank as a market data manager which I feel gave me good PM skills and a broad knowledge of the vendor market. I've been away from work for the last 2 years, doing some travelling and renovation projects in Aus but now want to (have to) re-enter the workforce.

Since I always seem to have other projects on the go that require chunks of time, and I hate the idea of going back to day-in-day-out commuting to London, I am looking into contracting as a way to give me enhanced income for periods of time but also allow me to take a couple of months off here and there if I want to.

Looking at positions just on this website, there are certainly jobs that I know I could do fine for £300-£450pd and other roles for £500+pd that with a bit more training and confidence I could do.

My concerns:

- My ability to hit the ground running on new projects with new people (traditionally this has taken me a little while to get into the swing of things and build solid working relationships)
    - Employers extracting every £'s worth of value from me by long hours, unrealistic targets (though I coped before in perms, and I wouldn't mind so much if it was a finite contract)
    - The apparent financial complexities of running a LTD (though I am getting my head around it)

Would be interested with any general advice anyone can give ! Is this a good way of working/taking time out ?

cheers
    MDSboy

It works for some, and not for others. The only person who will know if it truely works for you is.....

YOU!!!

HTH

Comment

Can't you get anything back in Aus and leave the jobs here to those needy East European immigrants?
      Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by MDSboy
        - My ability to hit the ground running on new projects with new people (traditionally this has taken me a little while to get into the swing of things and build solid working relationships)
        Forget it then. This is the be all and end all of contracting.

In the intermim read the first timer guides here and at http://www.pcg.org.uk and see what you think after you have read them.

Comment

Don't sweat it, the job will be easier than they describe on the advert or at the interview. You will get time to 'bed-in' but measure this in days rather than weeks.
          The LTD co stuff is very routine and plenty of people can do all the work you need on this for a fee.
          The ONLY thing you need to be concerned about is getting a job, forget about everything else, get in the game, get an interview, get a job and the rest will fall into place.
          If you are rubbish or the company are a nightmare, you will find out very quickly.
          HTH

Comment

For £300 - £400 certainly no problems, that is on the low side, and I would have thought get you into the swing of things. For £500 plus there would be more pressure, and higher hurdles getting in.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

How long were you in your Swiss Role?
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                Forget it then. This is the be all and end all of contracting.
                Umm...yeah, I think I've realised this part of my working character would need to be adjusted !

Still, if this way of working is what I really want to get in to, then I'll just have to change and sort it out

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                  How long were you in your Swiss Role?

I'm presuming that was a joke!

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg
                    Don't sweat it, the job will be easier than they describe on the advert or at the interview. You will get time to 'bed-in' but measure this in days rather than weeks.
                    The LTD co stuff is very routine and plenty of people can do all the work you need on this for a fee.
                    The ONLY thing you need to be concerned about is getting a job, forget about everything else, get in the game, get an interview, get a job and the rest will fall into place.
                    If you are rubbish or the company are a nightmare, you will find out very quickly.
                    HTH
                    Thanks, this make me feel a bit better about the whole thing. I'm fairly confident I can do the roles that are being advertised, and my previous exp. should put me in good light.

I wonder what potential employers will make of my absence from the workforce for 2 years though ?

I'm setting up meetings with all the major vendors to get back up to speed on latest products and developments, so at least I can't be accused of being behind the times.

cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X