• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Assessment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Assessment

Whats the score, when did this kick in and what happens if you have been running a business for several years and have never completed one. I operate outside IR35. Am i in the S*** and what should i do...

Originally posted by liveforever
    Whats the score, when did this kick in and what happens if you have been running a business for several years and have never completed one. I operate outside IR35. Am i in the S*** and what should i do...

The score is we need more detail to even begin to help.

Self assessment tax returns have been around for as long as I can remember.

Comment

Do you have an accountant?

It's possible he's been completing it online for you.

Comment

what details do you need...

i haven't completed one since i started my business and i'm a director. I've been in touch with my accountant but i've had no respons as yet.

Comment

is that

Something he would do automatically or would I have to specifically ask him. I don't recall any conversation about self assessment. I always assumed it was for PAYE puppets, and therefore never give it a moments thought until this weekend. I feel like I’ve missed something ...

Comment

Well you would have had to sign the form. My accountant does mine for me and then mails it to me for a signature. If you are positive you have never signed one you may have problems. Then again i belive you don't have to complete one if your wages never hit a certain limit, but don't quote me on that.

Comment

All directors have to complete tax return. Apart from threaded who is tax exempt.

Comment

Just

spoke to my accountant he says that becasue I have no personal tax liability then I don't have to complete a self assessment; it's academic.

If I had personal TAX liabilities then he would have told me to complete a self assessment from.

Comment

No personal tax. Sounds good. Where do I sign?

Comment

From HMRC's website

We need a Tax Return each year if you

work for yourself - that is, you are self-employed, or in partnership (we will also require Partnership Tax Returns)
                    are a company director
                    are a Name or member of Lloyd’s
                    are a Minister of Religion (of any faith or denomination)
                    have income from letting any property or land you own (but if you are an employee and this income is less than £2,500 a year a Tax Return may not be necessary)
                    receive other untaxed income and the tax due on it cannot be collected through a PAYE tax code
                    receive annually (or can be treated as receiving) income from a trust or settlement, or any income from the estate of a deceased person, and further tax is due on that income
                    have taxable foreign income, even if you are claiming that you are not normally resident in the UK (and including non-resident landlords)

PAYE puppets are generally excused !

Comment

Working...
                    X