• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Official "There will be no Brexit" Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Official "There will be no Brexit" Thread

Very interesting article here:

"In this post we argue that as a matter of domestic constitutional law, the Prime Minister is unable to issue a declaration under Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty – triggering our withdrawal from the European Union – without having been first authorised to do so by an Act of the United Kingdom Parliament. Were he to attempt to do so before such a statute was passed, the declaration would be legally ineffective as a matter of domestic law and it would also fail to comply with the requirements of Article 50 itself."

https://ukconstitutionallaw.org/2016...pensable-role/

We already know 75% of MPs would vote to remain. So that's done and dusted then.
    Last edited by SantaClaus; 28 June 2016, 08:15.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Yawn.......

And after the next GE we have a UKIP PM. Not because people agree with them but because MPs ignored the will of the people.

Comment

Perhaps since the MPs have been placed in an untenable position, there will be a General Election sooner. I look forward to reading the manifestos.

But let's say there is a vote on Article 50, and it's defeated. I doubt there would be a mass protest. A proportion of remainers would support it. A proportion of exiters and remainers would be against it. But the majority would go back to their fags beer and football.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

How is this Official without AtW declaring it so?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Perhaps since the MPs have been placed in an untenable position, there will be a General Election sooner. I look forward to reading the manifestos.
          MPs have to get reelected. The question is how many of them would be at risk if they refused to go along with the public's decision? Here our safe Tory MP was pro-remain, but the vote was 50.3% leave. Hardly decisive and not likely to cost her her seat if she voted against the public.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            MPs have to get reelected. The question is how many of them would be at risk if they refused to go along with the public's decision? Here our safe Tory MP was pro-remain, but the vote was 50.3% leave. Hardly decisive and not likely to cost her her seat if she voted against the public.
            Good point. The split here was 45/55 in a very safe labour seat (the same guy has been sat in it since before i was born). I reckon he'd get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

But let's say there is a vote on Article 50, and it's defeated. I doubt there would be a mass protest. A proportion of remainers would support it. A proportion of exiters and remainers would be against it. But the majority would go back to their fags beer and football.
              Agree. If article 50 is defeated, it will be a storm in a teacup.
              Considering the statistics showed the older generation voted for Brexit, they are hardly going to be rioting with their Zimmer frames.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

My MP is a leaver. The vast majority of his constituency voted Remain. He would have to abstain.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

This thread is hereby granted The official status

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    My MP is a leaver. The vast majority of his constituency voted Remain. He would have to abstain.
                    You got me there. Thought you were talking about my "MP".

Comment

Working...
                    X