• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

*Official* Post Brexit recession thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Official* Post Brexit recession thread

So it starts.

Well done brexitiers. Wetherspoons open yet?

Richard Branson reveals cost of Brexit as Virgin Group cancels deal worth 3,000 jobs

Richard Branson reveals cost of Brexit as Virgin Group cancels deal worth 3,000 jobs

Sir Richard Branson revealed the growing cost of Brexit this morning, as he admitted Virgin Group had cancelled a deal worth 3,000 jobs.

The billionaire businessman said the company had made the decision to pull the plug on "a very big deal" because of the the uncertainty created by last week's vote to quit the EU .

Since then, the company may have lost up to a third of its value, according to founder Sir Richard.

The billionaire businessman warned the country is heading towards "disaster" and called for there to be a second referendum because facts touted by Leave campaigners were "inaccurate".

Appearing on ITV's Good Morning Britain, he added: "The pound has collapsed to its lowest level in 30 years. This country is going to go into recession, two of the worst days ever. Banks being pounded means they are not going to lend money."

Sir Richard Branson talking on Good Morning Britain
    Sir Richard Branson's company is counting the cost of Brexit
    On the Virgin Group, which owns shares in various companies including Virgin Media and Virgin Trains, the British businessman said: "We're not any worse than anyone else but I suspect we've lost a third of our value, which is dreadful for people in the workplace."

He added: "We were about to do a very big deal and we cancelled that deal that would have involved 3,000 jobs and that's happening all over the country."

Sir Richard also called on the public to sign a petition demanding a second referendum , which has so far gained more than 3.5 million signatures.

He said: "When Brexiteers told the public that people were exaggerating that there would be a financial meltdown I think that its been proven that they were not exaggerating.

Brexit chaos live: Jeremy Corbyn faces no confidence vote as Conservative leader wannabes are revealed

"We're heading towards disaster and therefore in business if you realise you made a bad decision you change it. And we're not saying to overrule it, just let the same people who voted have another chance and that's democratic."

As Sir Richard was appearing on ITV, Chancellor George Osborne was telling BBC Radio 4's Today Programme Brexit will “absolutely” mean tax rises and brutal new austerity cuts .

Brexit chaos live: Nigel Farage booed in European Parliament as Jeremy Corbyn faces Labour crisis

The Chancellor made his dire statement today - despite not following through with his threat to hold a summer Brexit budget.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Oh dear. Has Richard lost some pennies.

His company must be rubbish as the FTSE is at the same level it has been for months.

And is he actually making 3000 people redundant or just not employing 3000 that he was hoping to employ?

Really pathetic.

Comment

None of the reasons given hold much water for me.

If the pound is now lower then it makes investment in the UK cheaper - and so there is no reason why the deal would not go ahead.

£ is now 1.20 to the euro which is back to levels of around 2013 - however it has been artificially inflated prior to brexit due to so much trading.

What I see is what I feared people making decision like this and then saying 'It's because you choose Brexit' with no real facts to back that up.

Comment

Does this recession affect prostitution?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

If the pound is now lower then it makes investment in the UK cheaper - and so there is no reason why the deal would not go ahead.

£ is now 1.20 to the euro which is back to levels of around 2013 - however it has been artificially inflated prior to brexit due to so much trading.

What I see is what I feared people making decision like this and then saying 'It's because you choose Brexit' with no real facts to back that up.
          Perhaps external investors don't like the uncertainty of the UK's future status within the single market. Just a guess.

Even Farage says there will be a recession, although I missed him saying that before the election.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

Branson is very pro Europe. He issued a letter before the vote rambling on about it.

Has he cancelled a deal? I have no idea but agree with you that if it was anything to do with selling abroad then he should press on.

And whilst he can sit there saying there is financial meltdown until he is blue in the face, the facts don't support him.

Osborne - position of strength, no emergency budget.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post

And whilst he can sit there saying there is financial meltdown until he is blue in the face, the facts don't support him.

Osborne - position of strength, no emergency budget.
              I must have been watching some different news to you.
              What did you expect Osborne to say? "Paniccccc!!"?
              He has said there will be tax rises and spending cuts though.

You really are a complete bone-headed idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                Well I suppose we will pay for it and get screwed so yes probably!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

No but rather than having a twenty something eastern european for £50 all you may soon be able to get is a 40 something saggy slapper.

Not that that will bother you I guess.

Comment

MF only accepts USD now.

Comment

Working...
                    X