• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commuter Bikes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commuter Bikes

I am honestly thinking of a commuter bike – has anyone tried this? What comments did it attract?

Some are a grand, some are 200 on Amazon – anything to look out for?

My commute is around a mile each end, on the Manchester trans-pennine express, so it really does need to be a fold-up bike as the train would be too busy to accommodate anything else.

Tried driving and hotel yesterday – feck that, well over two hours drive for a 59 minute train journey.

A mile? Just walk. Don't overcomplicate things.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
      My commute is around a mile each end, on the Manchester trans-pennine express, so it really does need to be a fold-up bike as the train would be too busy to accommodate anything else.
      Wouldn't it be easier to struggle into the crowded carriage with a full-size bike, and rarely bother to wash?

I mean why be different to the average cyclist?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Just make sure NLUK doesn't spot you on your bike when he drives past

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Wouldn't it be easier to struggle into the crowded carriage with a full-size bike, and rarely bother to wash?

I mean why be different to the average cyclist?
          He may be caught by the guard.

Plus some commuters are known to be helpful in "getting" the bike off....
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Personally I would get a cheap second hand fold up bike on ebay. Then if you don't like it you can sell it again.

Do they have showers? Without knowing the terrain and route you might get a bit sweaty.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Personally I would get a cheap second hand fold up bike on ebay. Then if you don't like it you can sell it again.

Do they have showers? Without knowing the terrain and route you might get a bit sweaty.
              He's going a MILE.

It's a 15 minute walk if you are fairly fit and less if you are fit.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                I am honestly thinking of a commuter bike – has anyone tried this? What comments did it attract?

Some are a grand, some are 200 on Amazon – anything to look out for?

Tried driving and hotel yesterday – feck that, well over two hours drive for a 59 minute train journey.
                Realistically your only going to save yourself about 5 mins each way. By the time to unfold and fold the bike each time, plus 10 mins ride against what should be a 20 minute walk it's probably not worth it.

If you really want to then I wouldn't bother with a Brompton for that distance. Go for a Dahon or similar. £200 will get you a bike shaped object that will do the job.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  He's going a MILE.

It's a 15 minute walk if you are fairly fit and less if you are fit.
                  Would MF ?

And then would you sit beside MF if he does?

Comment

Can you not just buy a skateboard?

Here's MF giving classes:

Comment

Working...
                    X