• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switzerland caves in and accept EU free movement to be in EU trade zone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switzerland caves in and accept EU free movement to be in EU trade zone

<placeholder>

Good thing they don't have nukes... or do they?

Cuckoo clock anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
      Cuckoo clock anyone?
      Once and for all, Switzerland is not the home of the cuckoo clock. That's the Black Forest in South West Germany.

Chocolate, watches and rocks. That's what they produce. And of course they have nukes.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You'd like Switzerland AtW. I remember the Swiss Army field guns in the basement of SBC in Basle on my way to the server room. Every Swiss company stores Swiss Army equipment, - or used to.
        Client at the time invited me for dinner and showed me his nuclear bunker. AFAIK at some point every Swiss house had to have one by law? Is that the case NAT?
        And I remember being in a pub in a rural area when a company of soldiers on exercise came in with their guns, piled them behind the bar and had a few beers.
        Almost everyone is Switzerland is armed - or was at that time.

My recent sojourn was a lot tamer I don't knoe if things have changed or I just ahppened not to have the same experiences.

Comment

New builds don't have to have a bunker. If you opt not to have one, you have to buy space in the community bunker instead. My house was built with one. We use it as a store room.

Not so many people are armed nowadays. Most Swiss men keep their guns at the local firing range nowadays, after a few incidents - like one of my daughter's classmates accidentally shooting himself (dead) with his father's gun.

One of my colleagues is part of his local hunting club - responsible for culling deer and wild boar. He gets to carry guns in his car, and has a sticker on the vehicle to show he's authorised. He's amazed how courteous other drivers have become...

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
            Almost everyone is Switzerland is armed - or was at that time.
            Do they still have national service? I understood that afterwards you kept the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              Do they still have national service? I understood that afterwards you kept the gun.
              Yes that was my understanding too.

Comment

I like it in UK, even without guns and high taxes

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  I like it in UK, even without guns and high taxes
                  Are you sure? You seem to spend most of your time moaning and hoping for doom.

Comment

Yes, they still have military service. Or you can do civil work instead. The ones doing military service get guns, but they can keep them at the local shooting range.

Comment

Working...
                    X