• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit Economics Lesson 1 - Who has the real power in negotiations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit Economics Lesson 1 - Who has the real power in negotiations

If you want to play hard ball do ensure that most of your manufacturing industry is domestically owned and/or that you can influence it in some way. Otherwise the Germans can insist on the single market on their conditions leaving you in a bind. Because if tariffs are imposed, your foreign owned industry will In time relocate to the bigger markets of Europe.

Don't be nasty.

The Brexiters can't think and back up their arguments with facts.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Hang on a minute. Are you telling me German owned car companies like Rolls Royce, BMW Mini could pull out their manufacturing out of the UK costing thousands of jobs unless the UK doesn't play ball?

Ouch.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Don't be nasty.

The Brexiters can't think and back up their arguments with facts.
        Who's being nasty? I'm merely stating the facts. Although I concede that facts have been in short supply recently.

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
          Who's being nasty? I'm merely stating the facts. Although I concede that facts have been in short supply recently.
          You are confusing them with economics and logic.

Remember they had two journalists leading their campaign who only know about literature and ignore facts.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Hang on a minute. Are you telling me German owned car companies like Rolls Royce, BMW Mini could pull out their manufacturing out of the UK costing thousands of jobs unless the UK doesn't play ball?

Ouch.
            Why would they?

The domestic market is big enough that they could service it from the UK & bypass any tariffs.

Of course they could just piss off and we can build them here. About time we had Dyson Motors.

We will be able to tool up to make eco motors.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              You are confusing them with economics and logic.

Remember they had two journalists leading their campaign who only know about literature and ignore facts.
              They clearly did not study well in school - this is the Shakespearian tragedy right now....

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Of course they could just piss off and we can build them here. About time we had Dyson Motors.

We will be able to tool up to make eco motors.
                Indeed, the Brexit case was always based on Jackanory.

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
                  Indeed, the Brexit case was always based on Jackanory.
                  And remain was always hiding a superstate.

I prefer stirring stories to stirring dictatorships.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    And remain was always hiding a superstate.

I prefer stirring stories to stirring dictatorships.
                    Not really. Over the yelling and gurning of Brexiteers no one noticed that Dave had actually ensured that Britain was never going to join any future political union. Not that there is any chance of that for years or decades anyway.
                    So we could have milked the EU until it suited us or until we had built up our strength in manufacturing or something.
                    Any fooking thing except stepping into the void from a position of weakness.
                    But look it doesn't really matter now, I'm beginning to think due to various policy mistakes in the past the stupid have now out-bred the clever.

Comment

Working...
                    X