• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension incomes fall as referendum effect filters through

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Providers of annuities - the policies that convert pension pots into incomes for life - have cut their rates this morning to reflect falls in the financial markets since Thursday's Brexit referendum.

Two annuity firms, Just Retirement and Retirement Advantage, announced annuity rate cuts this morning. Just Retirement’s rates are down by around 2pc.

The cuts follow falls in the yields on bonds issued by the British Government in the wake of the EU vote. More falls in annuity rate are likely to follow, according to experts.

This is just one of many possible effects of the Brexit vote on pensioners and those who are saving for retirement. Here we look at the future for pensions outside the EU."

Oh dear

Strangely my pension fund with Standard Life is at an all time high, so I am assuming they hedged Brexit
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

2 companies no one has ever heard of?

I assume now the markets are back where they were last week they have reversed the cut? Wonder why they didn't cut in Feb?

Can't see cuts from the big players. But then these things go up and down all the time.

Comment

Can you see BoE rate cut next week? That's what is being priced in now

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Can you see BoE rate cut next week? That's what is being priced in now
          Are you going to have a punt then?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Strangely my pension fund with Standard Life is at an all time high, so I am assuming they hedged Brexit
            Well of course it is. It's based in Edinburgh after all.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

strange I never see stories saying 'Annuities raised across the board due to fabulous trading'

This lets them keep more of your money!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

They're about to get their wrist slapped for naughty clauses already, so this will help the cause no end.

Comment

As Jim Cramer said on Brexit, the British voted themselves a pay cut.

The effects will filter through in decreased pensions and inflation which won't be compensated for in increased incomes not to mention tax rises at some point.

The question is not whether there will be a pay cut but how much.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                    Are you going to have a punt then?
                    I don't gamble...

Comment

Working...
                    X