• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The next big thing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The next big thing?

Come on, what is it going to be?

I'd like to get away from IT and start doing something else. Back to a little wheeler dealing, retail, services etc

What do you think? What do you think is going to be needed in the future?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Sledges, fish and chips, gotta be worth a shout
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      Sledges, fish and chips, gotta be worth a shout
      Well I've been looking at Children's shoe shops at the moment. Not new, but not many chains either. Clarkes has a stranglehold and its something you don't tend to do online.

In addition you don't need a A location an off the high street or destination shop works as parents will travel. Not a quick buck obviously, and most of the money is in stock. But I likey he idea especially as I have paid a lot of tax the last fews years that can be claimed back in setting up a business (if it makes losses)

Comment

Concrete printer repair man. Shifting a jam from those feckers is gonna be a right sod.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
          Concrete printer repair man. Shifting a jam from those feckers is gonna be a right sod.
          Nah didn't like it.

Late night secret boat trips from Calais may become more popular? Or a one way ticket shop back to Poland?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Nah didn't like it.

Late night secret boat trips from Calais may become more popular? Or a one way ticket shop back to Poland?
            From Dover, surely?

Comment

School uniform.... Not a quick thing to get into but its a destination purchase / school visit rather than high street item and the badges ensure you have to buy locally..
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Separately if you do want to do something with a larger reach The inevitable by Kevin Kelly shows how everything is going to end up computerized over the next 30 years...

Still think your previous idea of soft play is a goer.... The people who own the one local to us opened a teenage one a while back (has a bar for adults and provides rollerstaking, laser quest and 10 pin bowling).. You just need a large warehouse unit and change of use...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  School uniform.... Not a quick thing to get into but its a destination purchase / school visit rather than high street item and the badges ensure you have to buy locally..
                  Agreed. I think the combination of Children's shoes and school clothes, perhaps with guides/ brownies etc

The supermarkets do cheap school clothes though, so would need to think.

Daltons is always a good tool to use. Look up the business your interested in and then read the ads. Gives you turnover, margins, size shops, how muc stock they hold etc

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Well I've been looking at Children's shoe shops at the moment. Not new, but not many chains either. Clarkes has a stranglehold and its something you don't tend to do online.

In addition you don't need a A location an off the high street or destination shop works as parents will travel. Not a quick buck obviously, and most of the money is in stock. But I likey he idea especially as I have paid a lot of tax the last fews years that can be claimed back in setting up a business (if it makes losses)
                    Pop into Newmans in Crowthorne - it's always packed.

Comment

Working...
                    X