• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you know how valuable you are

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you know how valuable you are

Think about it. We are amongst the top 5% earners in the UK, we are independent and free!!! just think how important we are to companies wanting to sell us financial services, consumer goods etc etc. Not only that but we also have access to details of the workings of entire IT departments of large organisations.

Isnt it about time that we were treated as customers and providers of livings for large swathes of parasites?

But we're still below Plumbers in the earnings hierarchy.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Forumbore
      Think about it. We are amongst the top 5% earners in the UK
      I wouldnt think that for a second. There are a lot of people out there that own businesses that earn a lot more than an employed IT contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
        I wouldnt think that for a second. There are a lot of people out there that own businesses that earn a lot more than an employed IT contractor.
        Indeed. An awful lot of the commercial fabric of our society is provided by small businesses, and each successful small business usually contains a few owners whose annual income is 6 or 7 figures (and I don't mean 110k before NIC).

Furthermore, quite a lot of people are essentially workers rather than business owners, but still pull in a lot (doctors, dentists, lawyers, vets...).

In bog-standard worker drones, we're OK: Govt stats show
        The median level of full-time weekly earnings was £383 per week. This is considerably lower than the average (£465), since the latter is boosted by the relatively small number of people at the top end of the distribution with extremely high earnings. At the bottom of the distribution, a tenth of employees earned less than £216 per week, whereas at the other end of the scale a tenth earned more than £752 per week
        But we are no elite.

Comment

Elite?

Originally posted by expat
          But we are no elite.
          Those figures you quoted that looked like standard contractors' rates were PER WEEK, not per day.

Now elite was a cool game from the dawn of time, as long as you didn't crash in those rotating landing pads. Any other cowards here who used to sell the forward lasers and strap them onto the back so you could run away while blasting you pursuers?

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain
            Those figures you quoted that looked like standard contractors' rates were PER WEEK, not per day.
            Indeed. So we are indeed doing comfortably OK for standard worker drones, but no elite.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain

Now elite was a cool game from the dawn of time, as long as you didn't crash in those rotating landing pads. Any other cowards here who used to sell the forward lasers and strap them onto the back so you could run away while blasting you pursuers?
              I lost six months of my life to Elite.
              I used to warp to an anarchic system with a cargo hold of goodies, drift along and wait for the Pirates.
              When I wanted an extreme dogfight I used to blast the Space Station and dog-fight the police, (only when I had a galactic hyperdrive and was ready to move on though).
              Boom boom boom boom
              A-haw haw haw haw
              Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
              Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

I have an value (according to my spreadsheet) of -£21,238.54.
                Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                  I have an value (according to my spreadsheet) of -£21,238.54.
                  I aim to die with only £3.14159... in my bank account. Just to prove how much of a geek I am.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                    In bog-standard worker drones, we're OK: Govt stats show

But we are no elite.
                    Can't believe they put lower than the average. The median is an average. They must be talking about the mean (which ia also an average)

Comment

Working...
                    X